PROJECT: Firebird Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROJECT: Firebird Update

ITS MOVING!!!! ITS MOVING!!!! Well, thats a .jpg so it can't move there, but I snapped that picture while it was being driven! OMG I can't express how exciting this is for me, I actually got do drive the car this weekend! (thats my dad in the picture)

For years and years I wanted to back the car up, or drive it up ramps, or SOMETHING but there was only one time my dad handed me the keys, and that was when he knew it had a dead battery. But yesterday and today....

"If you want to goose it, to see what it does, this is the place to do it..."
    I didn't skip a beat... dropped it to first, nailed the gas, and dumped the clutch! WWWRRRRRRRRR!!! Stomped the clutch, slammed it into second, let of the clutch again.... after about 5 seconds were were doing 50 or 60 MPH and my dad was screaming WE DONT HAVE BRAKES!!!!

Well, we do have brakes... but one of the front drums isn't working, and since rear brakes don't do much he wasn't far off. We bled the rear and gave up fixing the front. It isn't worth our time to fix the front brakes since we'll be changing it over to a disc setup in the next few weeks.

Anyone have any comments on this brake kit? I don't think I can get away with using the drum/drum master cylinder with a disc/drum setup, and even if I could I don't think the drum master cylinder can pump enough fluid. ANYONE with ANY experience PLEASE chime in.

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

hahahaha someone else, ///MMB, made this:

Edit: Since ///MMB took the time to figure out what the car looks like in motion, here's a short video clip: http://www.projectfirebird.com/files/first_drive.mpg And trust me when I say its a pain to convert .mov with some stupid 9kHz sampling rate to an .mpg with 44khz sampling rate. (I know I don't get any quality by upsampling, but it makes it compatible with more software packages.)

Things you can hear in this video:
    Rattling muffler - One of the mufflers has a broken pipe inside of it. I think I'll get these mufflers cut out and replaced with Flowmasters
    Steering whine - Power steering pump leaks at the gear box, hopefully replacing this will get rid of the noise
    Kailey - My 2 year old neice gets exicted when Pa-pa Darrell comes driving up in the car
    And don't forget about the engine

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

man thats awsome atleast urs is moving lol mines is all apart, no front end and interior completly gone no doors windows... its gonna be a while till shes done, i cant wait
      1967 Camaro "Project"
      1972 Chevelle "454"
      1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

That brake kit looks very stock. It will deliver stock performance which is probably OK for what you want from the car right now. If that is what you are expecting, I'd say go for it. The parts are all brand new, so installation should be easy. The hardest part will be dealing with the ball joints / tie rod ends.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          That brake kit looks very stock. It will deliver stock performance which is probably OK for what you want from the car right now. If that is what you are expecting, I'd say go for it. The parts are all brand new, so installation should be easy. The hardest part will be dealing with the ball joints / tie rod ends.
          Thats enough for me. I don't plan on dragging the car, will likely baby it most of the time but I would like to dyno it... don't need brakes for that though. I also need something that will fit in the 14" wheels, and this might be small enough. And anything is better than one front drum

Comment

I was up at Year One Saturday. I forgot to ask them about your air cleaner. I'm not sure I could have gotten anywhere with it anyway.

They have a black late 60s Chevlelle in the showroom now. It looked nice.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              I was up at Year One Saturday. I forgot to ask them about your air cleaner. I'm not sure I could have gotten anywhere with it anyway.

They have a black late 60s Chevlelle in the showroom now. It looked nice.
              That'd be awsome if you could ask them Summit said they know of no one that makes what I want but I believe I mentioned that and am only repeating myself right now. O'Reilys ordered some simple round filters for my car for a 3 2brl setup last week, but they were massive compared to what actually fits in the car. Several people have suggested that I go to a lawnmower shop and buy filters from one of those guys which I'll probably do. But I'm starting to think that the filter boxes (I really don't know what they're actually called, breathers?) on the car are actually from a lawn mower heh.

I like the look of these, but I need to send them an email and ask what the dimensions are. Anything much higher than what is on the car right now will hit the hood. I don't care for the $120 price though. They are a tri-power intake set, so they should fit horizontally, but maybe not vertically. And the extra surface area of the filter would help them last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Noggin
                That'd be awsome if you could ask them Summit said they know of no one that makes what I want but I believe I mentioned that and am only repeating myself right now. O'Reilys ordered some simple round filters for my car for a 3 2brl setup last week, but they were massive compared to what actually fits in the car. Several people have suggested that I go to a lawnmower shop and buy filters from one of those guys which I'll probably do. But I'm starting to think that the filter boxes (I really don't know what they're actually called, breathers?) on the car are actually from a lawn mower heh.

I like the look of these, but I need to send them an email and ask what the dimensions are. Anything much higher than what is on the car right now will hit the hood. I don't care for the $120 price though. They are a tri-power intake set, so they should fit horizontally, but maybe not vertically. And the extra surface area of the filter would help them last longer.
                Hopefully I won't be going back up there. It's about an hours drive. Give them a call. They deal with this stuff all the time.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                  Hopefully I won't be going back up there. It's about an hours drive. Give them a call. They deal with this stuff all the time.
                  I tried to call them today, but I probably won't bother with the intake any more until I'm ready to get way further into cosmetics. I found a speed shop about 30 minutes away that had two air filters like I wanted as well as one assembly similar to the year one link I posted. They should get me two more assemblies by Friday as well as the filters I need. I also bought two mufflers from them, I kinda regret it though as they're Impco which may be Flowmaster knockoffs. Oh well, if I don't like them I'll replace them later. But anything is better than that knocking sound.

But I do want to ask them what the difference is in their assembled and un-assembled door panels. For $100 difference, it may not be worth buying the assembled panels if all I need is some glue. But I'm also considering buying a carpet right now from them. But if I buy a carpet, I have to buy seat belts, otherwise I'll have to remove the carpet to put the belts in.... and the blasted things are over $300 from yearone! The convertible top is less than that! So I figured I'd check ebay..... either rusted crap or $700 for a nice set.

Comment

nice car man.
                    i miss my 69 Firebird. i was pushing around 550HP at the crank with the spray.
                    2000 Firebird, midnight blue, chrome 5 spokes

Comment

I'm getting tired of for the eBay brake kit guy to respond to my email (sent Sunday). I'm about to plop down an extra $150 for the summit kit.

Comment

Working...
                      X