need a lil b-day help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a lil b-day help!!

Ok you guys I need a little advice. My husbands birthday is coming up and I want to get him something performance wise for his car. He's ordered a 383 stroker kit for the Lt1 camaro and the block is at the machine shop right now. Here's what I need some help with....Sould I get the LT1 heads ported and polished or should I buy a set of AFR's? I don't know a whole lot about this kind of thing. My husbands more on performance while I just want the car to look good. Which set of heads would give me the best "bang for buck?" I don't want to ask Keith because I don't want him to know what I'm up to. I think it's best to get the heads done now while the motors out of the car then to wait.

Any advice you guys might have would help because I haven't got a clue (LOL!)...Thanks a lot!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/753605

Get the heads ported and polished. Its cheaper and can be better when done by a good shop. Plus you get a lot more choice in what you want done.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Have the LT1 casting CNC ported. Go with a 2.00" intake valve and 1.60" exhaust valve. Were you planning on just having the heads milled and ported or were you going to have the heads fully assembled?

Comment

What do you suggest? I was planning on having them fully assembled if I just go with the stock LT1 heads. I don't know a whole lot about this. The guy at the machine shop is good at what he does so I trust him to do a good job. I was just wondering what all of you guys thought would be the best route to go since I really don't know a whole lot about it.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/753605

Comment

Originally posted by Camaross_itll-run
          What do you suggest? I was planning on having them fully assembled if I just go with the stock LT1 heads. I don't know a whole lot about this. The guy at the machine shop is good at what he does so I trust him to do a good job. I was just wondering what all of you guys thought would be the best route to go since I really don't know a whole lot about it.
          I would suggest to just have them fully assembled. That way the same machine shop will be doing all the work.

Just a suggestion, but you really should give the cam specs to whoever will be doing the porting to the heads. It ususally works just the opposite (choose cam grind based on head flow and veocity numbers), but it sounds like he already has the shortblock going together. It is very beneficial to mate the proper cam grind to the head flow and velocity numbers.

Comment

Another suggestion would be to make sure the individual who will be performing the porting knows what he's doing. An unexperienced or "old school" individual from a machine shop could very easily destroy the heads and make them Flow worse than stock. So, just make sure they have ported late model LT1 heads and can provide before and after flow sheets. Or send them out, like fastTA mentioned, and have your LT1 casting's CNC ported and machined for larger Valves. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Eric 97LT4SS
              Another suggestion would be to make sure the individual who will be performing the porting knows what he's doing. An unexperienced or "old school" individual from a machine shop could very easily destroy the heads and make them Flow worse than stock. So, just make sure they have ported late model LT1 heads and can provide before and after flow sheets. Or send them out, like fastTA mentioned, and have your LT1 casting's CNC ported and machined for larger Valves. Good luck
              Yes, good advice. Make sure to ask them how extensive their expereinece with late model heads is. Specifically the LT1.

Comment

Working...
              X