Help: I have a bad mis-fire!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: I have a bad mis-fire!!!

I just replaced the Opti, plugs, put on an OVC Taylor Kit, Deleted my air pump, and replaced the water pump. I am sure I have the correct routing of the wires. Any idea why I have a mis-fire. You can hold the throttle at about 2000RPM and it is fine, but bellow that or if you try and hold it above 2000 you lose the car. I can stab the throttle and it is fine. Any ideas?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

I don't have an answer for you, but I love your quote... Who said it? Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Someone help him out....

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
    Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Did you reuse the metal heat shields on the spark plug boots? If you did, take them off. Crank it and see if it still runs bad.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Did you check your coil and coil wire?
        Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Any DTC's???

How is fuel pressure?

Is the problem any different than when you started to replace the parts, or the same
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Blevyou,
            Not sure who quoted that, but that is definitely how I live my life and I love it.

I did not use the heat shields, b/c I used Taylor wires. I have not checked Coil yet, but that is what I am thinking of checking next.
            Formula,
            What do you mean DTCs? Fuel pressure also is something to check, but the problem is different than when I started everything.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

DTC=diagnostic trouble codes=computer error codes. Is the SES light on or flashing.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Nope I get no SES light, but it has not ran for very long.

I am gonna test the coil tomorrow. If it is bad, is this a good time for an upgrade? Anything you would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB58
                  Nope I get no SES light, but it has not ran for very long.

I am gonna test the coil tomorrow. If it is bad, is this a good time for an upgrade? Anything you would recommend?
                  Here is a test for the coil
                  FYI for the coil replacement http://shbox.com/coil/coil.html . A lot of people are using the MSD unit. I am still using the stock coil.

Comment

This may be dumb but I'm wondering if you didn't get the inlet air tube on the throttle body good. Mine wants to roll the bottom under when I put it on. I have to use a flash light and a screwdriver to get it on. I don't know how the tube goes on for the ram air hood.

I had a car once that I did not get that tube on it had the same symptoms. Wouldn't idle, wouldn't rev high but I could hold it just above idle and it would run.

Comment

this may also be dumb but did you happen to knock off the timing
                      your racing 16 year old Camaro Berlinetta Digital Camaro 202 heads 4 barrel and soon to be headers with 4 inch running back

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro84Berlinetta
                        this may also be dumb but did you happen to knock off the timing
                        The LT1 engine doesn't have a distributor that has a timing adjustment. The OPTI is it's version of a distributor and it only goes on one way. The computer controls the timing.

Comment

Jeff,
                          I will check that air inlet when I get home. I was planning on putting in a MSD 6AL and Blaster Coil in the near future so I am picking one up tonite and installing. I will let you know where I get, but if that is not the case i am going to start leaning towards a fuel problem.

Thanks so much for your help.

Ryan

Comment

Jeff,
                            I happened to notice you did an M6 conversion. Any input into this, how did it go. I have pondered this for quite some time. Anyway, thanks again!
                            Ryan

Comment

Check all your cables too. MAF Cable, ICM, Opti, TPS and any others. Did the opti snap in correctly?
                              1995 Firebird Formula
                              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
                              X