No announcement yet.

Headlamps upgraded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome lights man (not that I didn't see them in person or anything lol).

I'm trying to do research on the T/A bulbs and I don't think I see anything?? Those who used the PIAA bulbs actually hacked up the housing to fit two bulbs...I don't think I'd go that far. There are HID conversion kits for a few hundred on ebay, and even more through retail shops. I've also heard "Hella" makes something decent for the Firebirds, but can't find too much info on it. I hope there is a cheaper solution for us Firebird owners...
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Well, there are the Silverstar housings. They're better than stock at least. I may try and pick up a stock replacement housing and experiment with it, see what I can find.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I upgraded my housings with bulbs of the stock wattage and STILL noticed a difference. Stock bulbs suck! I think I'll try a little higher wattage next time, but I know I'm never going back to pure stock.

FYI...upgrading the "Guide" housings is a PITA. For anyone looking to try this, get the Sylvania ones and upgrade those. If you get a chance, compare the back electical connector and you'll see what I mean.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Ummm, the Guide housings were a piece of cake for me. What was giving you problems with yours?
          Steve

Comment

Well, I have to admit I didn't try to upgrade the guide housing. Seeing how the bulb is mounted and sealed in there, it didn't look like it would be easy to get out.

On the Sylvania bulb housing I just twisted the bulb to break the glue free and it came right out. Used some pliers and it was a piece of cake.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

The bulbs popped right out of the Guide housings as well. Just grab the ring and, one quick twist, the bulb pops right out. It was as easy as 1, 2, pi lol
              Steve

Comment

lol someone's been in math class too long
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

"The sum of the square of the two sides of an isoceles triangle is equal to the square of the third side!"

"That's a right triangle, you moron!!"

"D'OH!"

lol
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                    The bulbs popped right out of the Guide housings as well. Just grab the ring and, one quick twist, the bulb pops right out. It was as easy as 1, 2, pi lol
                    You should consider yourself lucky then! The guide bulbs are usually pretty hard to remove, and require much more than a simple twist. I would imagine that the glue holding your bulbs in was probably old and dried up. For anyone not as fortunate as Steve, use a large, flat blade screw driver, wedge it between the plastic and the glass and turn it againts the glass. The glass at the base of the bulb is very strong and shouldn't break. I wrapped paper at the tip of my screw driver to protect the glass from the bare metal, and managed to get the bulbs out with no problems.

As for the Pontiac crowd, I believe those housing too use 9006 (low-Beam) and 9005 (high beam) bulbs. I would imagine that the procedure will be fairly similar, involving prying of the stock bulbs. Finally, for those of you looking to dramatically improve visibility at night, understand the problem isn't in the bulb alone. An even bigger problem than the bulb is the housing itself, and its beam pattern characteristics. One solution would be to upgrade the bulbs with an HID system. The great lumen output of HID bulbs would help the housing to fill in the dark areas around the concentrated beam of light that these things produce. Another solution would be to simply replace the housing with something more effective. This solution, however, is often at the cost of appearance, making it hard to keep that important OEM look!
                    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
                      You should consider yourself lucky then! The guide bulbs are usually pretty hard to remove, and require much more than a simple twist. I would imagine that the glue holding your bulbs in was probably old and dried up. For anyone not as fortunate as Steve, use a large, flat blade screw driver, wedge it between the plastic and the glass and turn it againts the glass. The glass at the base of the bulb is very strong and shouldn't break. I wrapped paper at the tip of my screw driver to protect the glass from the bare metal, and managed to get the bulbs out with no problems.

As for the Pontiac crowd, I believe those housing too use 9006 (low-Beam) and 9005 (high beam) bulbs. I would imagine that the procedure will be fairly similar, involving prying of the stock bulbs. Finally, for those of you looking to dramatically improve visibility at night, understand the problem isn't in the bulb alone. An even bigger problem than the bulb is the housing itself, and its beam pattern characteristics. One solution would be to upgrade the bulbs with an HID system. The great lumen output of HID bulbs would help the housing to fill in the dark areas around the concentrated beam of light that these things produce. Another solution would be to simply replace the housing with something more effective. This solution, however, is often at the cost of appearance, making it hard to keep that important OEM look!
                      Yeah, the glue wasn't that strong I don't think. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the originals from 93! lol Ummm, while I'm sure you're right on the LS1 Firebirds, the LT1 birds have combo units, having one bulb with a dual filament perform the tasks of both low and high beam. Is there a bulb you can recommend for this? Also, I believe you mentioned something about a brighter fog lamp bulb that can be used to match the new low and high beams. I found an 885 bulb from Wagner that was "Plasma Blue", but do you know any better ones? Thanks man (how did this become a question-post? lol)
                      Steve

Comment

"The sum of the square of the two sides of an isoceles triangle is equal to the square of the third side!"

"That's a right triangle, you moron!!"

"D'OH!"

lol
                        Ah yes, the simpsons and the pathagreon theorem in the same phrase.
                        It looks like I'm a math/simpson nerd as well
                        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Guess you gotta update your avatar now
                          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                          SOLD- Kinda miss it
                          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                          SOLD- Good riddance!
                          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                            Guess you gotta update your avatar now
                            Ya know, I was going to, but I couldn't really get a difference in the picture with my camera on my phone. I'll problably have my dad take it or something, then it'll show up. Gotta show the brighter eyes of the beast, right? lol
                            Steve

Comment

Ummm, while I'm sure you're right on the LS1 Firebirds, the LT1 birds have combo units, having one bulb with a dual filament perform the tasks of both low and high beam. Is there a bulb you can recommend for this? Also, I believe you mentioned something about a brighter fog lamp bulb that can be used to match the new low and high beams. I found an 885 bulb from Wagner that was "Plasma Blue", but do you know any better ones? Thanks man (how did this become a question-post? lol)
                              If the LT1 birds use only one bulb for both functions, then it could probably be replaced with a 9004, or 9007 bulb. H4 bulbs also have both high and low filaments in one capsule, but are often only found on imports.

I actually advised againts changing the bulbs in the fog lamps due to fact that there aren't high wattage 885 bulbs. The wagner bulbs you are talking about will produce a blue light, and just wont look right IMO. Something like a yellow bulb will probably look best combined with your new low beams.
                              I bought a pair of Xenon white fog lights and looked ok next to my MTEC Low Beams. My GF has a pair of violet bulbs on her Z, and they look better than mine. This place has all types of colors: Euro Dezigns
                              1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
                                If the LT1 birds use only one bulb for both functions, then it could probably be replaced with a 9004, or 9007 bulb. H4 bulbs also have both high and low filaments in one capsule, but are often only found on imports.

I actually advised againts changing the bulbs in the fog lamps due to fact that there aren't high wattage 885 bulbs. The wagner bulbs you are talking about will produce a blue light, and just wont look right IMO. Something like a yellow bulb will probably look best combined with your new low beams.
                                I bought a pair of Xenon white fog lights and looked ok next to my MTEC Low Beams. My GF has a pair of violet bulbs on her Z, and they look better than mine. This place has all types of colors: Euro Dezigns
                                Coo, we'll have to look into which will work. The stock bulbs I have right now look like a bright yellow, pale white compared with the PIAA bulbs, so I guess I'll just stick with that. Not hurtin' anything lol. Thanks for you help again man, you're the best lol
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X