Relay/fuse panel voltage measurements?? w/in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay/fuse panel voltage measurements?? w/in

My car has gotten hot a couple of times while setting in traffic. I realized that I didn't hear the fan running. All 3 relays are good. I discovered a problem at the relay/fuse panel. According to the Haynes manual, pin 1 should be hot all the time and pin 5 hot only with the ignition switch in run. Here is what I measured on my car:

Relay 1 pin 1 = 12.7 pin 5 = 12.7
    Relay 2 pin 1 = 0 pin 5 = 12.7
    Relay 3 pin 1 = 0 pin 5 = 12.7

Turning on the ignition s/w didn't change any readings. What should I check next? Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

Thanks

According to the schematic, I don't see anything wrong with your readings.

Was your engine temp above 226°? That's when the stock fans come on.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

So the Haynes manual is wrong?

Running hypertech 160 deg thermostat. ECM reprogrammed to turn on fans sooner. I think the second fan should kick in around 195. Last night while idling in the garage the temp was up to about 215 and second fan was not on. Just trying to figure out whats going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy 96 T/A Convertible
        Running hypertech 160 deg thermostat. ECM reprogrammed to turn on fans sooner. I think the second fan should kick in around 195. Last night while idling in the garage the temp was up to about 215 and second fan was not on. Just trying to figure out whats going on.
        Yeah, I would say the manual is wrong or referring to an earlier year. You can check with a scan tool to see if the PCM is commanding the fans on. You really need to know what the re-programmed threshold temp is, though.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X