rear tires question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear tires question

I have 245/40/17 KD's all around currently. I cant hook for my life. The gaps are uge between the tires and fenderwells. I wanted to drop the car as well. I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to just get 2 new rear tires. Something bigger like 285's. I was thinking the f1-gs-d3. would that be a smart idea to put 2 of those 285s in the back and keep my 245 KD's up front. I really dont have the money to buy tires and they are relativly new as well. thanks
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

That was the basic size combo for the mid 90s LT-1 vettes without the Z06 option. However, they staggered wheel sizes as well. 17x8.5 up front and 17x9.5 rear. A 245/40/17 is too short..... that should be a 245/45/17 at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by lt14mla
      I have 245/40/17 KD's all around currently
      EEk!! 245's on 17's?? Slap on some 275's and you'll notice a world of a difference!
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I have got 275/40 zr17s on the back an go no where but everybody likes the smoke show.Would like to go with 315s i think that would do the trick but my rear end said it will go south if i do. Just run them on a rolling start.

Comment

With staggered tire sizes (larger sizes in the rear), it would be impossible to rotate them. Does this mean less life on the tires?
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by lt14mla
            I have 245/40/17 KD's all around currently....
            With 245/40-17's all the way around, did you correct the tire size in the PCM, so the speedo and odometer would not be "off"? If you didn't, your speedo has been reading 3.8% high, and your odometer has been adding 1038 miles for every 1,000 miles you actually drove. That assumes your car left the factory with 245/50-16's. If you had the "base" 235/55-16's, its even worse. The 24.7" diameter is contributing an extra 1/2" of daylight between the tires and the fenders.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

no i havent corrected it because im going to be swapping out a rear end as well in the next week or so. the gears will be 3.42 instead of the current 2.73's. I figure thats the best time to change the PCM. But i was thinking of getting some 285 or something in the back first and leaving the 245's up front and then changing the pcm. thoughts?
              -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Working...
              X