suspension question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension question

I have a 95 Firebird Formula M6. Only mods are catback exhaust and intake. It is in need of suspension really bad and i was going to go with bilstien shocks and eibach prokit. But i know it will lower it and i want to put longtubes on it in the future. I was wondering what anyones suggestion would be to keep factory ride height or close to it but still get some higher performance suspension. This car is my daily driver and a weekend warrior at the drag strip.any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1995 Firebird Formula M6, hooker long-tube ceramic coated headers, tb bypass, 160 thermostat, b&m ripper shifter

by the way i really need help with my straight line traction if u could take that into consideration
    1995 Firebird Formula M6, hooker long-tube ceramic coated headers, tb bypass, 160 thermostat, b&m ripper shifter

Comment

The general consensus is lowering will make the straight line traction worse.

To help straight line traction I would suggest lower control arm relocation mounts http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyDrivetrain.htm#cab2 or http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1042 . Better lower control arms should help but I'm not convinced how much.

Here is some really good info on springs.
      http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8782
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

keep factory ride high? bigger rims or taller tires but u loose some cornerin ablility
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
          keep factory ride high? bigger rims or taller tires but u loose some cornerin ablility
          How do you loose corning ability with bigger rims or taller tires?
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

thanks for the info. i am just doing the shocks and springs right now but later i will be doing the other suspension mods. i want to keep higher ride height to to be able to put long tubes on it. any info on the other springs that i can still put longtubes on with . i don't care much about the appearence i just need performance

Comment

its more wit the taller tires like if i put 225/60R16 instead of 245/50R16 the sidewall isnt as stiff and it starts to roll over on in itself when pushed hard( i notice it when i dirve my dads tbird
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
              X