need new starter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need new starter

My TA needs a new starter. Has anyone put one in and i was wondering how tough it might be and how long it will take.
    99 Z28 M6, SS hood, borla muffler
    93 TA A4, sold

The stock Y-pipe will interfere with starter removal. Not clear whether you still have it.

You can get an LT4 starter for less $$$ than a stock LT1 starter, and its supposed to weigh less. I bought a CVR Pro-Torque starter for $150 from JEG's (although they don't show that part # in their catalog any more). It has a mount that allows the entire starter assembly to be rotated to increase clearance to headers, etc.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I bought the car last year and as far as i know the headers and y pipe should be stock. Is there any special process to replace this without problems? any info is helpful. thanks.
      93 TA A4, sold

Comment

Make sure the battery is disconnected. From there, its just nuts and bolts. You'll probably have to drop the y pipe, which can be a PITA if the bolts are rusty. Then there are 2 bolts holding the starter to the block, which face the ground. Remove em. Then take the nuts off the terminals that attach the wires to the starter solenoid. Reverse the procedure for the install.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Thanks alot guys ill let you know how it goes when i get it done within the next couple of days.
          93 TA A4, sold

Comment

2 Bolts. Y pipe will def. have to be dropped.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

guys what are symptoms of a bad starter?
              i have a 95 Lt1 Z28...i turn the key sometimes and the starter does not engage and nothing happens. usually when that happens the second crank is the charm. might need to look for a new one. not looking forward to installing it tho.going to clean my battery terminals today that might help. G Fry33 let me know how the insatll goes. i do have a aftermarket y-pipe but it still will have to come down. might have acces to a lift i hope
              eddie
              1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
                i turn the key sometimes and the starter does not engage and nothing happens. usually when that happens the second crank is the charm.
                Could be either the VATS or the column mounted ignition switch. The symptoms of a bad starter is failure to turn over the engine once it engages. When the starter solenoid doesn't "click" and there is no starter activity, that usually points to an electrical problem. Especially when you try it a second time and it works.

Comment

I did it without removing the y pipe, pita
                  93 t/a A4 3.23s
                  95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                  99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                  99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                  97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                  93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                  00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    Could be either the VATS or the column mounted ignition switch. The symptoms of a bad starter is failure to turn over the engine once it engages. When the starter solenoid doesn't "click" and there is no starter activity, that usually points to an electrical problem. Especially when you try it a second time and it works.
                    Ditto that...

IF you turn the key and you don't hear anything...VATs or electrical. If the start is going bad, you'll hear a CLICK. Everytime you turn the ignition it'll click...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

My freind put the starter in for me when i was at work in about 35 minutes and he didnt need to drop the y pipe. After the starter went in i was getting the click when the key turns but no turnover. What else can i check or what else could be the problem? alternator and battery are new within the last 6 months also.
                      93 TA A4, sold

Comment

Working...
                      X