Test drove a 98' T/A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastTA
    My Dad bought me an 89 Mustang 5.0, then helped me put a 200 shot on it when I was 18. Sure I wrecked it a few times , but that car taught me alot of repsect and most importantly taught me how to drive.
    LOL...that sounds like me right there (minus the mudstain part). That's pretty much how I learned...the hard way. I will say though, it did teach me more respect for an automobile than i could ever aquire any other way, as well as teaching me to drive. I just hope it doesn't have to come down to that for everyone

Sometimes I guess learning the hard way is the best way for some people
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
      Sometimes I guess learning the hard way is the best way for some people
      I truly believe it is the ONLY way people learn.

Comment

I agree. The first car I drove for several months was my mom's '93 Corolla 1.6L. Thankfully, the thing was absolutely gutless. I took it on top speed runs on the freeway (about 105-110) and did burnouts by going in reverse, throwing it into drive then punching it. However, I still had an immature attitude when I got the T/A at 18, but if I had the earlier, I know I would have tried to find a way to go 150 mph on the freeway. Not good lol.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
          Agreed. Buying your 16 year old son a 300+ hp car as his first is very dangerous.
          I can agree, and as an example.... I have to admit my first car was a nitroused 455 '79 T/A. The car almost killed me a few times. How I managed to live though it is a mystery. It started out as a 301 and after a couple builds of Pontiac's worst, I scrapped it and replaced it with a well build 455 with a healthy boost of N20. Even the 301 got me into trouble at that age.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
            I'm guessing you don't have your liscense or haven't had it long? This is advice from someone who is 19 and hasn't had there liscense for 3 years yet. Buy a beater car for a year. I know it sucks but wait it out. V8 f-bodies have a lot of power especially LS1's and I will admit I've gotten lucky with my LT1 a few times and saved it but was incredibly close to putting it into a telephone pole, oncoming traffic, ect. I know it is easy to say right now that you will respect the power and all that but you probably won't I know I didn't and theres not many if any teanagers out there who do let alone adults who have been driving for many years. Once you are used to driving in all conditions and have some good experience behind the wheel by yourself, is a good time to start looking. If your dad will buy it straight out consider collision insurance it is around 1\2 of the price of full coverage. I have Meristar and it is under $450 a year for collision and would be around $900 for full coverage. I drove a Jeep Wrangler for about a year and it actually dropped when I got my car not long after I turned 17. I know its hard to hear now and I didn't want to listen to it when I had just gotten my liscense but I had quite a few good friends get into bad accidents and a lot of inexperienced drivers are killed every year from not being able to handle a car and the extra power of a V8 just makes things worse.
            Yea I don’t get my license for another 4 days, but I’m pretty good at driving, i learned how to drive stick at 14, when i got my permit at 15 I drove from Florida to Texas with my mom in the passenger seat, it was raining most of the time, but I doubt Id could control a T/A well in the rain.

I own a 96' Toyota, it sucks but i guess i should keep it till insurance drops.

But id love to have a 98'-02' Trans am w/ firehawk hood, Its my dream car, but i have a heavy foot

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
              Why not get a 3.8 liter V-6 f body? They look just as good, they get good gas mileage, insurance should be cheaper, they've got decent power so they'll help prepare you for a beefier motor and i'm almost certain that the 3.8 is an award winning motor. Might not throw you back in the seat when you put the pedal down but as your first car, it's probably not a good idea to get something that's going to shred the tires. Good luck

I don't like the firebirds all that much, there not so atractive to me, and the main reason i like trans ams is because of the power they have, and they look really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                25. It's cheaper if you're married, too.

That is the only thing that is cheaper if you are married
                Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28

Remember, I live in MI. Anybody who lives here knows about governor granholm. She skyrocketed insurance rates in 05. Especially for young drivers. She also made traffic violations VERY serious.
                  Is that why all of a sudden people are starting to drive the speed limit???

It's a mystery to me... I used to cruise 85 mph to keep up with traffic on I-75. Nowadays, I'll maintain 80 mph and pass a ton of people. It just doesn't feel the same anymore
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Working...
                  X