Audiophiles! Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audiophiles! Question.

What systems have you guys placed in your 93-02 F-Bods that not only sound good but also look good in the dash?

Do you still retain the ten speaker set up like the original OEM?

What about the remote Steering Wheel controls?

I'm getting tired of my crappy Monsoon system.

Thanx in advance.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

In my personal and professional opinion (15 years of car audio experience), you should dump all the factory stuff. Amps, speakers, everything. All that factory stuff is low quality equipment, yet GM is proud of it when it comes time to replace it. I would go with all aftermarket. The downside is that if everything you have works, you're talking about a lot of money to replace all of that.

Now you could just replace the head unit, which wouldn't be that big of a deal. They do make adapters that will allow the steering wheel controls to work, but I never really got the point in steering wheel controls because the radio is only about another 12 inches. It's not real difficult to reach it, but like I said, that's my opinion. The downside to this setup is getting the proper adapters to make an aftermarket radio work with all the factory amplified system. Another downside is that when the factory stuff starts going out (not if, WHEN), then you'll have to decide if you want to buy more factory stuff to replace it and keep it installed the way it is now, or then dump all the factory integration and go full aftermarket.

In all my years, I have never personally met anyone who was happy with the decision to keep their factory speakers with an aftermarket radio. Everybody eventually switches to aftermarket once they start the process, so they all viewed the purchase of factory-integration equipment and the labor involved as money they threw away. My suggestion would be to start saving up now, deciding what equipment you want in your car, and get it all done at one time. It will be a big chunk of change, but it will save you money in the long run.

If this is not an option for you, then I would purchase an aftermarket radio and have the installation shop bypass all your factory amps and run the factory speakers off of radio power (if this is possible, more in a moment). If you have a sub you will lose it, but you will now have all your factory speakers at full range and they will all be wired in a "normal" fashion, so when you get money to change the individual speakers, you can change them a pair at a time, instead of all at once. You can always add a sub back to the system as well, and this way makes that easier. The catch to this is the ohm values of your factory speakers. If they are 4 ohm or 8 ohm, this will work. But if they are 2, 1, or 1/2 ohm like some factory speakers are, you CANNOT do this, as those ohm loads will burn up your radio.

If you choose this latter option, the first thing you need to do is find out what ohm load your factory speakers are. This will give you the info you need to determine how much you're going to have to spend. If they're all 4 or 8 ohm, then all you'll have to initially buy is the radio and the labor to hardwire (aka bypass the amps) them to the radio. If they are lower than that, then you're going to have to spend a lot more money initially. But you will be much happier with aftermarket equipment than with factory.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Recently, aftermarket radios have taken on really ugly appearances. I don't like the busy, complicated futuristic faceplates and think they look terrible in the dash of a car. I really like to look of the original factory radio.

With that said, I will not upgrade my head unit, strictly for appearance reasons.

That does not mean that I'm stuck with the stock stereo, however. The Bose / Monsoon steroes in our f-bodies use line-level outputs and external amps. It is possible to retain the factory head unit and run the line output from it to a fully aftermarket audio system.

The stereo in my car looks factory from the interior, except for the small tweeter pods added to the door panels. The output from the head unit runs to a Soundstream reference 405 5 channel amplifier in the trunk. It is bridged down to 3 channels and runs the MTX component speakers in the doors and the 10" sub in the trunk. It sounds very nice.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        Recently, aftermarket radios have taken on really ugly appearances. I don't like the busy, complicated futuristic faceplates and think they look terrible in the dash of a car. I really like to look of the original factory radio.

With that said, I will not upgrade my head unit, strictly for appearance reasons.

That does not mean that I'm stuck with the stock stereo, however. The Bose / Monsoon steroes in our f-bodies use line-level outputs and external amps. It is possible to retain the factory head unit and run the line output from it to a fully aftermarket audio system.

The stereo in my car looks factory from the interior, except for the small tweeter pods added to the door panels. The output from the head unit runs to a Soundstream reference 405 5 channel amplifier in the trunk. It is bridged down to 3 channels and runs the MTX component speakers in the doors and the 10" sub in the trunk. It sounds very nice.
        Appearence...that's the only reason I haven't changed my HU. I hate the look of aftermarket HUs...looks so ricey.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

While I admit that some of the newer models do look "ricey", they also have features that a factory radio cannot come close to. But since you guys want appearance over function (which, I know you won't appreciate this, but that is the definition of "Ricey" in the "Domestic Dictionary", page 142, just under "Riced Out POS" ), you need to look at higher end radios. Nakamichi makes "bland" looking radios that would be more appropriate for use in our cars, that have excellent internal components without all the flash of the more popular brands. Granted, you won't get near the options with them, but their sound more than makes up for their lack in that department. The downside is they only come in single DIN applications, so you will have to have a kit. And they are high dollar, if you can even find them.

Audiovox makes a direct GM fit radio for our cars that is a dual media (CD and tape) with conservative appearance. Err, conservative in this aspect is defined as the "ugliest radios known to man, sans the 70's era dual shaft 8 track players"

I run a Pioneer DEH-P77DH, which is considered to be outdated in the new radio market, yet is still made and sold because the thing is a solid radio that will last a long time. While it doesn't "match" my car, it is a GM direct fit radio that has some features that even the newest radios don't have. If you insist on not having a kit installed in your car, then this is the radio for you. I bought mine in 2000 and still have it in my car. I even bought another one for my van. It is that good.

Comment

I put a Sony Xplode system in my car. Replaced the head unit, speakers in the doors, pulled the factory subs out the sail panels in the back and put some 6 in round triaxles like the front doors. Got a stealth box and put a 10 sub in the left side cubbie hole in the back. 1100 watt amp for the sub and the head unit powers the rest. The head unit lights up red and matches the factory dash really nicely. Sounds great, total cost $550.00

It sounds better then my Suburban with a 2500.00 system. I have pictures if you are interested.
            95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

I have a 2004 Model Panasonic Head Unit with the Dot Matrix Display. Its not a direct fit but I think it looks nice. Only thing I dont really like is that it lights blue and my gauges and all that are the red/orange. Other than that I love it. I absolutly hate the stock cd player. Mine would always come up with some Error Code and spit my cd out at me, so finally one night I had had it up to only God knows where and I punched it and busted all the lights and a few of the keys out. So I went and got the Panasonic. As far as speakers I have just added 2 12' PowerAcoustick Subs and a PowerAcoustick Plasma Sphere 1920 Watt Amp. The factory speakers are still in there til I get my tires which should be here Wednesday woooot!! :-)

**Red 98 Trans Am--Flowmaster--MTI Clear Lid--Smooth Bellow--B&M Shift Kit**
              **White 98 Dodge Stratus--Daily Driver!**
              **RIP Red Firebird 170k**

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
                But since you guys want appearance over function (which, I know you won't appreciate this, but that is the definition of "Ricey" in the "Domestic Dictionary", page 142, just under "Riced Out POS"
                I dare you to come say that to my face! I'll polverize you!

Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Man, don't make me whoop out the 'Karate Kid Pose'. I got Mr. Miyagi on my side

Comment

Oh yeah, well... My daddy can beat up your daddy!!
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:

Comment

Yeah If you guys have pics of your Stereo head units and systems that would be great. I would like something that would go with the night lighting ambience for the rest of the car as well as a good quality sound. Thanx guys.
                      Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Ok if you want bigger PM me and i will send you whatever you would like.

95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fir3bird Chick
                          .... so finally one night I had had it up to only God knows where and I punched it and busted all the lights and a few of the keys out.
                          Oh my!

I have been struggling with this too. I want a hard disk MP3 player and there aren't many out now. The I-Pod adapter suck. They all only show like 8 characters at a time. The Kenwood Keg is the best option but their head units look awful. That stupid 64 color display is hard to read.

Sony has the best looking head unit.

But you want to hear something ridiculous listen to this. This head unit has a clock but you can not display the clock if the radio is on. You have to turn it off to see what time it is. Some engineer at Sony needs to be fired.

Hi Fi Buys has the Omnifi system for $200 now. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-v6pD2lm...0800&I=575DMP1
                          I'm leaning towards this if I can find a place for the controller.

If Kenwood had a good looking radio, I would already have one and a Keg.
                          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I think I found what I want. It's a hard disk MP3 player. It's not perfect but it's very functional. It doesn't have sub outputs or crossovers built in it. Best Buy is now carrying the Ipod Ice links by the same company. One of the neat things about this one is you can set up your play lists on your computer and save them as a file and play them in your car. You can also edit the operating software to make it do anything you want. You can put a picture of your car in it and make it display it when you turn it on.

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...tegory_Code=DH
                            What do ya'll think?
                            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                              I think I found what I want. It's a hard disk MP3 player. It's not perfect but it's very functional. It doesn't have sub outputs or crossovers built in it. Best Buy is now carrying the Ipod Ice links by the same company. One of the neat things about this one is you can set up your play lists on your computer and save them as a file and play them in your car. You can also edit the operating software to make it do anything you want. You can put a picture of your car in it and make it display it when you turn it on.

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...tegory_Code=DH
                              What do ya'll think?
                              Wow...that looks pretty serious! Only if it was the size of the cut out in our dash. I forget what's the size of the cutout, but that's a DIN and looks so ugly when we install it with block offs...sweet the less.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                              X