Hot Rod article- anyone read this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod article- anyone read this?

Here's one for you guys. I was reading an old Hot Rod magazine from 96 where they compared the 96 WS6, 96 SS, and the Mustang Cobra (I think cobra??). Anyways, the SS ran a 13.55 or so, the Mustang ran a 14.1 and this is what gets me - the WS6 ran a 14.15 - the slowest of all of them. The SS also had 3 mph on the WS6 through the traps. Either they got a lemon for testing or the test driver was horribly inconsistant. I just found this strange. How could the WS6 be a half second slower AND get beat out by a mustang? Anybody read this article? I just found it interesting. I guess you cant trust magazine test drives?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

tires

tires were probably different

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

This sounds like a pretty bad test. Actually, all three cars are pretty darn equal in the 1/4. I don't put a lot of stock into magazine test drivers, and the actual performance of the cars.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Rarely can you take a magazine seriously. I have perhaps 3 or 4 articles where each one posts different times. There were some articles claiming the WS6 was quicker and faster, some stated the SS was the winner.

Comment

Working...
        X