Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 5 speed conversion and engine mods

Hi,

Im doing a complete conversion to my 89 Rs camaro. It has a 2.8 v6 which is coming out and a 700R4 automatic which is also coming out. I am replacing the engine with a 305 tuned port injection that has no miles on it. The engine came from my Auto Tech class at school which was donated to the school but didnt come with a computer or wiring harness so my teacher couldnt start it. We custom made a wiring harness and put it to a computer and it started right up so I gave him 500$ for it. I have now taken everything off the front of the engine because I wanted to put a chrome timing chain cover on it but decided I wanted to put a mild cam in it. I was told it had a roller cam so I want to put in another roller cam. Could anyone assist me on what cam to put it that would give it a rough idle but doesnt require any other work to let it run right.

Now the tranny. I am replacing the 700R4 with a T-45 5 speed manual transmission. Could anyone tell me the measurements that I need and anything I need to do to make this work right. I have everything for the tranny- Clutch, slave cylinder, pedals, bellhousing and everything like that. I Just need to know what I need to make sure to do to get this to work right. If anyone could help me out with these I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

I've been there and done that. I upgraded my 1986 2.8 Camaro to be a 5.7 A4.

The added weight of the V8 will make the front end bottom out on bumps. The front springs are just not stiff enough to hold it up. You will need to find a set of V8 front springs for a 3rd gen. Your V6 radiator will also need to be replaced. The hose bungs are not in the correct locations for the V8 hoses to line up. Your tachometer, if you have one, will not read accurately on the V8. You'll need to find a set of V8 dash gauges. I would also recommend getting a good factory TPI wiring harness from a car the same year as yours. Everything should plug and play. You will also need the correct fuel line extensions to get to the fuel rail. The power steering lines could also need changing if you are using a different pump.

Have fun!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
    X