No announcement yet.

Problem running rough, advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like trying to use 600V electric tape to try and repair the insulation on a 30,000+V wire...... .
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Nice.

There is a prime example of why I work on my own cars. I just posted a story about an experience on another thread.

At least you found it at a convenient time.

I completely agree, but I cannot be responsible for what a previous owner did. I had a nightmare with my new minivan. I'll post the story in your thread.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Conclusion!

The plug wires were the problem. I installed the Taylor wires in the factory routing and now it looks great and runs great too.

My bro and I did it in 2 hours. I even put black plastic conduit over it all to protect it. It was not easy, but it was a far from the 7 hour PITA everyone makes it out to be.

Thanks for the help on everything so far! This car would not be as nice as it is if it was not for this forum.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          The plug wires were the problem. I installed the Taylor wires in the factory routing and now it looks great and runs great too.

My bro and I did it in 2 hours. I even put black plastic conduit over it all to protect it. It was not easy, but it was a far from the 7 hour PITA everyone makes it out to be.

Thanks for the help on everything so far! This car would not be as nice as it is if it was not for this forum.
          Work on one with the 2-cat, split Y-pipe. Then you'll see lol

Good to hear everything is working well now. Still waitin' for a vid lol
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ

Hey,
            I'm glad to hear everything went okay and it wound up only being the wires. Those Taylor's are pretty nice, I've had no problems with mine thus far.

It's a shame how people take care (or don't take care) of their cars....especially a sports car. How can you not take care of the second biggest investment of your life

I'll make sure to duct tape my opti in place when I replace it in a month or so
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              When you take the high voltage functions out of the Opti, and use it simply as a cam postition sensor, its a great piece. I've been running for almost 5 years now, feeding the Opti pulses to an aftermarket ECU, and driving 8 LS1-style coils in direct fire. The system performs faultlessly, providing precise cam position data that allows the engine to rev to 7,400rpm. With the data, the ECU can actually alter end-of-event injector timing, based on rpm and other inputs to pick up a little extra power.

Getting the high voltage function (cap/rotor) out of the system seems to eliminate a lot of the problems. I am running a "vented" Opti though. A friend of mine used the same system to make 1,125HP on a 383 LT1 with a Vortech S/C, running 22# of boost and turning 8,000rpm.
              That's pretty amazing. I understand everything completely....I never even would have thought of setting up my ignition like that. Too bad GM didn't think of that before they rolled off the production line.

A couple more years + more $$$ might = your ignition setup one day. It seems like a good route to go.

If you don't mind me asking, did you hear/read about a setup like that, or did it all originate in that noggin of yours?
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
              X