Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convertible in winter?

[aside from preference]

Have my Camaro SS and a '04 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo Intimidator SS supercharged, with basically 240hp (only 3k mi.) Two totally different driving experiences, obviously.

Dilemma:
    Went and looked at a '02 SOM Camaro SS convertible w/24k mi. Pretty, pretty ride!

Don't get much if any snow, so that's now really much of an issue. But it does get cold enough for frost, etc. What do you do about frost on back of convertible top-does it get frost (don't even know if it's plastic or glass?)

Don't have a garage for her, so she'd be sitting out in the elements. How will her top hold up, sitting out 24/7?

Would appreciate any feedback to pros/cons re; trading Monte for a 2nd SS. This car would be a daily driver, not something to "sit in my driveway and look pretty" (although she would)

one of my fellow f-bod club members has a 02 anniversary SS vert and he drives it all year round ....the back window is glass and has a defroster as well....as long as you don't operate the top in cold weather it should be OK.
    95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Most of the ice would fly off at 140MPH anyway . . . . I say get it!
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Off for a test drive

What about the top---sitting out in the elements yr. round?

Comment

They are designed to handle the elements. Although the more you keep it out of the bad weather, the longer the top will last. Dont worry too much about the top wearing out... I would worry about someone ripping it on you.
          No F-Body right now

Comment

If you have 2 SSs, and one's a daily driver, obviously, the other one would have to just sit in the driveway most of the time. I'm not sure what the point of that would be, although it's kind of cool in it's own way. Maybe you should sell one of the cars and use some of the money to build a carport or a garage. Then, whatever car you have will last about 3 times as long as it would sitting outside all the time thru endless rain/frost/dew/sun cycles. the two biggest contributors to keeping a car nice is 1. Change the oil on time, and 2. Keep it in a garage.

But, I like both the cars you have now! I would think that you would like to have one car that is a little more practical than the Camaro, but that depends a lot on lifestyle. Let us know what you do

Comment

My 1995 z28 has been garage kept and babied with only 70K.
              The top now needs to be replaced because the stiches are busting loose. This started at the 8 year old mark so its safe to say you wont get 8 years out of one if it sits out yearound.
              A would guess would be maybe 5-6 years the top will start to wear out. The fabric holds up well, its the stitching that fails.
              Im going to buy a top online and put it on myself for $500.00
              Most shops charge $1500 including the top for install.
              1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
              Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
              Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

carport wit sides and door, metal framing, year round use-400$ at the local wholesale spot.
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Well, I can't speak of Camaro's, but the Sebring did allright last winter and we had a lot of snow in North Jersey. It has almost 75,000 on it and the top's in good shape.
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD
                  Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies/comments. All points made sense and well taken.

I think that I'm developing an addiction. I was ok with my 6cyl Firebird,(had her 4yrs. & no probs or 'plaints), and she ran great, but now I've had a taste of the V8 (let alone with no mods, unless you count the K&N)

They did an appraisal of my '04 Monte SS Dale Earnhardt & only wanted to do like $18k+change. The SS Camaro is priced well below book, so that's not an issue.

Issue is; keep my SS 35th AND '04 Monte AND get the '02 SS 'vert? AND build a garage

I used to wonder growing up why my Mom had to keep getting/collecting cars, and I've got to say "I come by it naturally" Her prize is her '71 Chevelle SS, blue w/white stripes, factory air, 8 track, (she had glass put in the new ragtop)....saw it when she got it for like $250 (that's when she used to let me drive it-LOL )

Anyhow, I'll let y'all know what I decide to do. Yeah, it might be silly to have two SS's, but never seen luggage racks on hearsts

Comment

I had a 96 Z28 convert - drove it everyday for 3 years - including snow. Not fun in the snow but the car took it without issue - I did not have a garage at that time either!
                      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Went to make offer, but she's gone. O.K., I like the '99 Hugger Orange vert too, one will come around... Living in the land of the TN VOLS, an orange car would be appropriate. Appologies upfront to any Gator fans, please don't hold this against...BTW-have a UK license plate, again don't hold ...just a plate...

Also like the blue '99 with white stripes...

Comment

if u do build a garage i hope the 35th stays in their and only comes out for weekends or special occasions
                          1967 Camaro "Project"
                          1972 Chevelle "454"
                          1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Working...
                          X