Another exaust question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another exaust question

I decided to get Clear image headers. I am getting a y pipe with it. I have a cat in the mail 3" in 3" out.I need a 3" s pipe and 3" intermidiate pipe. I want to keep the muffler and duals already there. If I get a catback kit, I'm not going to use the muffler, outlet tubes or the tips. A waste of money. However, where can I buy a 3" intermediate pipe and s pipe with mandrel bends? I'm at a loss here. I don't want any muffler shop "specials" that are not mandrel bent. Any ideas? I spent too much money on the muffler and duals already, so I don't want to take that off. It's only been on two months, sounds sweet and looks great. It was installed very well too. Suggestions?

Most exhaust shops can put in mandrell-bent pipes. The shop I took my Jeep to did that with my custom system and I get nothing but compliments on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your stock system have 2 cats? If so, replacing them with just a single cat isn't emissions legal (not sure if need to worry about that or not).
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Nope just 1 cat, I guess you could buy a 3" catback (something cheap like flowmaster) and just sell the rear section.
      '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
      Stock with an irratic idle...
      (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Then the headers, Y-pipe and cat should all bolt up together and to the factory cat-back, shouldn't they? You can at least do that until you can get it to a shop and have the I-pipe fabbed up for you. Just my thoughts.
        Steve

Comment

Well from the y pipe to the cat outlet is all 3". I may have to use a reducer on my muffler, I think it's 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by jessica2112
            Well from the y pipe to the cat outlet is all 3". I may have to use a reducer on my muffler, I think it's 2.5
            You mean to the I-pipe? Did you have a cat-back done or just the rear section?
            Steve

Comment

All I had done was the muffler. It is all stock to the end of the I pipe. I looked at it today on the lift at my friends shop. Looks awful small under there for 3" pipe all the way back. The header install looks like it's going to be an absolute nightmare. He is going to let me use the corner of his shop when I get the headers in the mail. I will have a lift and the use of his tools. Major So anyway, I'm not sure how to attack the header install. Quick rundown- getting clear image V6 headers and y-pipe for 99 Firebird. 3" outlet on y. going into a 3" in 3" out magnaflow universal cat #94009. Then, I have no idea. I guess drive it to a muffler shop and have them put in an I pipe and hook my muffler back up. Is there a site with the header install explained for this by chance? Everyone around here want's 500 dollars or more for the install. 9 hours min. Excuse me for a second but, F*** that.
              I have to get it done on Saturday from 8-5. Then I have to drive it home. He's closed Sunday, and It's my only car. I need it.

Comment

Regardless of the size, the I-pipe should bolt up to the connector. You may an exhaust leak, but it should bolt up theless. As for the headers, I wish I could help but I wouldn't know where to start. If you've got a Chilton's/Hayne's manual, I would follow that for the exhaust manifold removal and the reassembly process, thus leaving only getting the actual headers in there. Hope this helps.
                Steve

Comment

I could/would help you but you are a good 4-5 hours from me.
                  '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5

Comment

I suggest getting a Haynes manual for about $15 from your local auto parts store and using it's section for manifold removal. The headers should bolt right up like your putting the manifolds back in, the only difference would be clearance issues. The headers you bought also may come with dissassembly/install instructions... I'm not familiar with that brand. When I bought Edelbrock headers/y-pipe for my 88 GTA, they came with instructions for removal/install. If you're working alone, you might have a fun time trying to get it done in the time you allotted.... it's not an easy task, although I imagine there's more room under the hood of a V6, but you've got that blower.

*EDIT* Also, make sure you have plenty of WD-40 or Liquid Wrench and some breaker bars. Manifold bolts are notoriously rusty.
                    Dave M
                    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                      *EDIT* Also, make sure you have plenty of WD-40 or Liquid Wrench and some breaker bars. Manifold bolts are notoriously rusty.
                      ^^ x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 I used a whole can over liquid wrench when I did mine. Stubborn ass bolts, the best advice I can give you is to be patient (especially with the header bolts). A broken bolt in your head is NOT good and most times the head will need to be removed to get it out and that is $$$$$$. Just take your time. If you only have a certain amount of time to do it just set it aside for a day when you have more.
                      '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5

Comment

As far as the S-Pipe is concerned, I know SLP includes one with their install kit for the Loudmouth for LT1's. It is a 3" mandrel bent S pipe. Im not sure if this would work for you though because it's for an LT1. Moreover, it costs too much in my opinion. You'd probably be better off calling different muffler shops near you that have the proper mandrel equipment to do the pipe. Heres a link though just in case.

SLP
                        1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

jessica you have a supercharger on your 6er??? thats sick. have you taken it to the track or anything yet? bet V8's get a little upset when you light them up especially the GT's aye?
                          1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

I won't light them up, damn computer retards my timing so much, it's runining my high. But yes it's there. But 10-15 mph on wheeeeeeeeee !!! I'm getting a LDS rearend with 3:42's so that ought to help. 3:08's s**k. Pardon me. I love my blower, just hate GM computer engineers.

Oh, should I be careful with air tools then?
                            THANKS FOR THE HELP! =)

Comment

Hmm air tools, never thought of that... I'm not sure if you can fit them in there though. Some tight spots, but hey if you can, LUCKY!
                              '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5

Comment

Working...
                              X