Tire Q, Ken C and others w/in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Q, Ken C and others w/in

I want to get a set of drag radials. What are some good ones, and how are there handling characteristics? Not worried about rain, snow or sand. I dont drive in rain or snow and if theres sand i dont take a corner fast.
    -ken-
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

You're pretty much a good candidate for a drag radial then, because
    a drag radial will do nothing for the things you listed.

Comment

You only have two choices.... BFG and Nitto. General feedback is that the Nitto's are a better choice for street driving, with a slightly better tread life and a little more "stick" in the event you get caught in the rain. BFG's tend to wear a little more quickly, and the tread pattern makes them extremely squirrly in the wet. They have marginally better straight-line traction. I have the BFG 315/35-17 Drag Radials, and have driven them in heavy rain with no problem, but they were brand new and still had all of the very limited tread depth they come with. I hear they are deadly when the tread wears thin, but don't plan to find out.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

fred's right on target, as usual, Ken............

and he's right about the BFG DR's being deadly on wet streets when the tread looses its slight grooving and traction sipes.....

so....if you can avoid driving in the rain............ need i say more? LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

The Nittos are hands down the better all around drag radial. I've had both on my WS6 and the Nittos were better. Better traction, better wear, better tire. They lasted 15K miles also. Best was 1.80 for the BFGs and 1.75 for the Nittos.

On the TA, they have gone 12K so far. Best so far was 1.65 when it was stock.

I've had both cars hit turn one(1st turn after drag straight) at Memphis at crazy speeds and they've performed very well if they are pumped back up to street pressure~30psi. Also did some playing at IRP this year at Indy, coming and going to the pits, and they worked great. The BFG's didn't like to take corners even pumped up.
          Rob
          04 GTO

Comment

thanks for all the insight guys
            -ken-
            ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

Working...
            X