Seafoam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafoam?

Just a quick question to any of you guys who have used seafoam before.

I've heard good things, mainly from a couple of you guys, and decided to buy a couple cans.

On the back of the can, they show many different uses for it, and many different ways it can be used. My question is, what was the most effective method of getting out carbon buildup for any of you guys who have used it? What exactly did you guys do?

Thanks,
    Chris
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

ONe simple step for carbon removal = push right foot to the floor while vehicle is running in gear.

Never used seafoam, sorry.....sounds kind if hoaky though!
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I use it. It's especially useful on really high mileage cars. For example, my 89 Cadillac at about 170K miles started to knock with 87 octane. I stepped up to mid grade and that lasted until 190K miles. By then, it needed premium to run without pinging. Plugs wires and typical tune up stuff didn't change that. I ran the seafoam though it and the car was able to run great again on 87 octane. When I sold the car at 214K miles, it still used regular, didn't burn oil and got 25 mpg highway.

On a side note.... when you do decide to use it, your neighbors are gonna Love you. It's one heck of a smoke show.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        I use it. It's especially useful on really high mileage cars. For example, my 89 Cadillac at about 170K miles started to knock with 87 octane. I stepped up to mid grade and that lasted until 190K miles. By then, it needed premium to run without pinging. Plugs wires and typical tune up stuff didn't change that. I ran the seafoam though it and the car was able to run great again on 87 octane. When I sold the car at 214K miles, it still used regular, didn't burn oil and got 25 mpg highway.

On a side note.... when you do decide to use it, your neighbors are gonna Love you. It's one heck of a smoke show.

What is it? Do you spray it in the throttle body or what?
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

link to seafoam website

This link may help.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
          1994 Trans Am GT, LT1, M6, Hurst Shifter, Leather, Eagle Wheels, Flowmaster cat back, !CAGS, 160 stat, Best ET 13.73@100 -- Updated mods: SLP CAI, SLP clutch kit, Nitto tires, Lou's short stick, SLP leather knob

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
            What is it? Do you spray it in the throttle body or what?
            According to the back of the can (which I'm looking at now and will just quote), there are many ways you can use it.

1) Add to crankcase (oil)
            -Frees sticky lifters and rings
            -Removes moisture
            -cleans dirty parts
            -Increases RPM's vacuum and compression
            -Cleans PCV valve system

2)When added to gas or diesel fuel tank
            -cleans fuel injectors and carb jets
            -cleans carbon as you drive
            -lubricates upper cylinders
            -de-ices and removes moisture
            -diesel fuel conditioner & anti-gel
            -stabilizes fuel

3) When used through injection or carburetor
            -cleans carbon build up
            -gives smoother idle
            -cures hesitation & pings
            -cleans intake valves and pistons
            -cleans catalytic converter odors
            -restores power and pickup

4)When used in small (2 or 4 cycle) engines
            -cleans carbon build up
            -cleans carb jets and injectors
            -stabilizes fuel
            -restores power
            -smoothes rough idle
            -removes moisture

Hope that's thorough enough

My question would come for the third group I just posted.

The directions say....
            "With warm engine, slowly pour 1/3 pint through carburetor, throttle body, or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders. Possible sources are PCV valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short time."

This may sound dumb, but I do not know how to do this. How would I put it through my throttle body? If I take off my intake elbow, doesn't that just make the car die out?
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by jodyg
              That usually makes it easier....unless I feel like typing everything on the back of a can again

In the words of stewie......BLAST!!!!!

Comment

I used the stuff once on my '96 at about 80,000 miles. I couldn't feel much of a difference when I drove it, probably becuase I use some fuel system cleaner every 6,000 or so. There was definitely some smoke coming out the back! I'm kinda 50/50 on whether I'd use it again.

I used the power steering vacuum line to poor it in. You start the engine, pull the hose and put your thumb over it to keep the RPM's down. Then you SLOWLY pour it in. You'll hear the engine hesitate when you do. After about 1/2 the bottle has gone, pour some more in to stall the engine. Pour the rest in the gas tank, then let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The car will be a little hard to start. When it does don't be surprised at the smoke coming out the back. Rev it a little to clear it out and then go for a short drive.

A lot of folks have used it at camaroz28.com and some report that it may ruin an O2 sensor. My car was fine though.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                  I used the stuff once on my '96 at about 80,000 miles. I couldn't feel much of a difference when I drove it, probably becuase I use some fuel system cleaner every 6,000 or so. There was definitely some smoke coming out the back! I'm kinda 50/50 on whether I'd use it again.

I used the power steering vacuum line to poor it in. You start the engine, pull the hose and put your thumb over it to keep the RPM's down. Then you SLOWLY pour it in. You'll hear the engine hesitate when you do. After about 1/2 the bottle has gone, pour some more in to stall the engine. Pour the rest in the gas tank, then let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The car will be a little hard to start. When it does don't be surprised at the smoke coming out the back. Rev it a little to clear it out and then go for a short drive.

A lot of folks have used it at camaroz28.com and some report that it may ruin an O2 sensor. My car was fine though.
                  Thanks!

I figured after 116,6xx miles, there must be a decent amount of carbon build up that I should try and get out of there.

Let's hope the o2's don't give out on me

Comment

Seafoam is OK. The JB fuel and emissions cleaner products are far better though. They make an awesome 3 part fuel injection/ emissions cleaning kit. It works wonders...I've used it with great success on many fuel injected vehicles.

http://www.justicebrothers.com/products_pas.htm

Comment

Kinda surprised of my neighbors called the fire department on me. Lots of smoke... No clue if it did anything.
                      1995 Firebird Formula
                      (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by Formulaboy95
                        Kinda surprised of my neighbors called the fire department on me. Lots of smoke... No clue if it did anything.
                        That's common when the motor is loaded up like that. It adds a bunch of fuel to compensate.

Hey it gets rid of the mosquitos!

Comment

I'm planning on trying it when I install headers in a few weeks. I'll leave in the current system, so if my O2s don't like it, there won't be any loss.
                          I have about 110k, and have seen the insides on the heads through the intake ports. There were absolutely disgusting carbon buildups. I tried to spray it down with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, and just about any cleaner...nothing would remove it. Hopefully, seafoam will.
                          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Wouldn't it be cool if we could rig some up through a nitrous line so we could use it as smoke screen? Great for tail-gaters, hondas and cops....oh my!
                            Darrin C
                            '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                            07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                              According to the back of the can (which I'm looking at now and will just quote), there are many ways you can use it.

1) Add to crankcase (oil)
                              -Frees sticky lifters and rings
                              -Removes moisture
                              -cleans dirty parts
                              -Increases RPM's vacuum and compression
                              -Cleans PCV valve system

2)When added to gas or diesel fuel tank
                              -cleans fuel injectors and carb jets
                              -cleans carbon as you drive
                              -lubricates upper cylinders
                              -de-ices and removes moisture
                              -diesel fuel conditioner & anti-gel
                              -stabilizes fuel

3) When used through injection or carburetor
                              -cleans carbon build up
                              -gives smoother idle
                              -cures hesitation & pings
                              -cleans intake valves and pistons
                              -cleans catalytic converter odors
                              -restores power and pickup

4)When used in small (2 or 4 cycle) engines
                              -cleans carbon build up
                              -cleans carb jets and injectors
                              -stabilizes fuel
                              -restores power
                              -smoothes rough idle
                              -removes moisture

Hope that's thorough enough

My question would come for the third group I just posted.

The directions say....
                              "With warm engine, slowly pour 1/3 pint through carburetor, throttle body, or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders. Possible sources are PCV valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short time."

This may sound dumb, but I do not know how to do this. How would I put it through my throttle body? If I take off my intake elbow, doesn't that just make the car die out?
                              sounds like Marvel Mystery Oil to me
                              Dave M
                              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                              X