Seafoam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
    I'm planning on trying it when I install headers in a few weeks. I'll leave in the current system, so if my O2s don't like it, there won't be any loss.
    I have about 110k, and have seen the insides on the heads through the intake ports. There were absolutely disgusting carbon buildups. I tried to spray it down with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, and just about any cleaner...nothing would remove it. Hopefully, seafoam will.
    I've seen the Justice Bros.(JB) intake cleaner do wonders on intake runners!

Comment

i dont know how any of the off the shelf treatments work i havnt seen any come through our garage wtih great differances between before and after try finding a local garage that has a motovac system we use it on the cars that fail emissions test its pretty remarkable to see them come back in later and how clean they run the stuff keeps cleaning for awhile after the treatment

Comment

Thanks for the info Kevin. Do you, by a chance, know how much this stuff runs? Does it produce the black smoke like seafoam when cleaning? I have an itch to get my heads ported by Lloyd Elliott as a way of getting them cleaned but if this stuff will clean all that crud out really well, I might just buy some.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Thanks for the info Kevin. Do you, by a chance, know how much this stuff runs? Does it produce the black smoke like seafoam when cleaning? I have an itch to get my heads ported by Lloyd Elliott as a way of getting them cleaned but if this stuff will clean all that crud out really well, I might just buy some.
          It's only like $40-45 for the 3 part system. It cleans the combustion chambers, piston top, and intake manifold really well. The intake manifold cleaner works best when you use the brake booster vacuum line and it is sucked through. The canned version that you allow to "trickle" in works best.

It does create some black smoke and it stinks to high heaven! But that is just the chemical reaction, PCM adding fuel to compensate, and the buildup all coming loose.

Comment

Do you think I should use the stuff before I change the O2s and cat? Or would it not hurt either of those? Thanks Kevin
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

The sea foam comes in a spray. It also comes in a can you just pour in the gas or oil. It's under 5.00 and it worked great in my work truck. I just poured a can in the gas tank. I noticed the power gain in the truck right off the bat. It works great for cleaning the system out. But I didn't get any smoke from the truck when I put it in the gas tank. That must only be when you spay into the intake direct.

Comment

Do you think I should use the stuff before I change the O2s and cat? Or would it not hurt either of those? Thanks Kevin
                If ususally does not hurt the O2's or cats, but if you had already planned on replacing them, I would do it before you swap them out to the new ones. The intake cleaner blows out a lot of gunk! I would also change the fuel filter after running any kind of commercial cleaner through the gas tank as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                  Wouldn't it be cool if we could rig some up through a nitrous line so we could use it as smoke screen? Great for tail-gaters, hondas and cops....oh my!
                  There was some kit that i found online, Its like a little solinoid and a pump. It pumps coolant into the engine, just a little and it makes the car smoke like crazy, making for a good get-a-way. You have to convert the washer res. into just a tank and fill it with 100% coolant. But ya it works, saw it on the discovery channel, they had it on armered cars. Crazy stuff.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                    There was some kit that i found online, Its like a little solinoid and a pump. It pumps coolant into the engine, just a little and it makes the car smoke like crazy, making for a good get-a-way. You have to convert the washer res. into just a tank and fill it with 100% coolant. But ya it works, saw it on the discovery channel, they had it on armered cars. Crazy stuff.
                    That's a good way to foul plugs and/or harm sensors as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      That's a good way to foul plugs and/or harm sensors as well.
                      That sounds like Q talking. James Bond never worried about fouling spark plugs!
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                        That sounds like Q talking. James Bond never worried about fouling spark plugs!
                        Dude, Q rocked! I always wanted some of his gadgets!

Comment

Back from the dead for good use!

After doing research on the internet and our forum, using seafoam on the Camaro (136K on the ticker) seems like a good idea. Now I am going to throw this out there: I am retarded compared to you guys when it comes to engine work. So your help is as always, greatly appreciated.

Joe K. 99' Zee! had a pretty good write up:
                          I used the power steering vacuum line to poor it in. You start the engine, pull the hose and put your thumb over it to keep the RPM's down. Then you SLOWLY pour it in. You'll hear the engine hesitate when you do. After about 1/2 the bottle has gone, pour some more in to stall the engine. Pour the rest in the gas tank, then let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The car will be a little hard to start. When it does don't be surprised at the smoke coming out the back. Rev it a little to clear it out and then go for a short drive.
                          Now for the questions:
                          1) Where is the power steering vacuum line and where does it go to? Is there another way to get this into the engine?

2) Is the crankcase the same place I pour the oil into? And if it were your car would you put seafoam in your crankcase and how much would you use?

Once again, thank you for your time.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Well ok what stores sell this crap an how much. Thanks
                            Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
                              Well ok what stores sell this crap an how much. Thanks
                              Blazer
                              Haha like anywhere. Some home improvement stores sell it because it can be used in lawnmowers (hondas too ) and chainsaws. Its like 5 bucks isn't it?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

SeaFoam is the only additive that ever worked for me, incl Techron.

Make sure the engine is good and warm, and dont add seafoam via vacuum line after the motor stalls. I did, and with bad luck I filled a cyl so that it hydrolocked my 3800 and cracked the block.
                                However, SeaFoam works so well, that after I swapped a used 3800 into my 4th gen, I used it on that motor! And it helped allot! Just be careful.

For 3800s, many folks pull the vacuum line to the brake booster, and puor it in there til the motor stalls.
                                Agree that you perform this just before oil and plug changes. Does not hurt O2 sensors.
                                Mike, So. MD, USA
                                1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Working...
                                X