Gotta love Pepboys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
    Yup. I hate to admit it, but I worked as a technician and service writer at Pep Boys while I was going to college. Yes, they are idiots (what do you want for 6 bucks an hour?) and yes the computer systems are not very good and are filled with errors and misinformation.

My best friend (and roomate) and I worked there for 3 years though. What a blast! Ive got more stories from Pep Boys to keep me smiling for years to come ....One of my favorites was when he and I did a set of tires on a cavalier for a customer. We literally could do a set of tires in 10 minutes (2 guys, 2 of each machine, 4 tires, mounted, balanced - 10 minutes.) We used to make a game of how fast we could do it when working together. Anyways, we did these tires and handed the work order in to the writer. THe customer was and shopping and keeping an eye on the parking lot to see is his car was finished. After an hour and half of the customer makes his way around to the service desk and asks the writer where the H*** is his car. The writer calls me up and I tell him it was done over an hour ago. The customer tells me his car never left the parking spot.....of course I say "thats impossible.....its done....we had it done ten minutes after we got the keys." So, I went out to show the customer his new tires and the car I worked on was GONE! The customers car was still there, unmoved. We finally figured out that his keys started another Cavalier in the lot...same year...everything. We mounted four tires on another customer's car while they were in buying parts. Whoever it was drove away with four BRAND NEW tires and didnt even know it! What are the chances of that happening?? We laughed for days on that one!

That's too funny. It doesn't completely shock me, however. If it was an older Cavalier, it makes sense. For some reason, GM's older style lock cylinders would mysteriously become interchangable with age. The key to my '84 Grand Prix used to start my Brother's '77 Camaro with a little coaxing. He used them on more than one occasion when he would lose his.

Another nice feature was I could take the key out of the ignition while the car was running. It was useful when I needed to get something out of the trunk and didn't want to shut the car off.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6

That's too funny. It doesn't completely shock me, however. If it was an older Cavalier, it makes sense. For some reason, GM's older style lock cylinders would mysteriously become interchangable with age. The key to my '84 Grand Prix used to start my Brother's '77 Camaro with a little coaxing. He used them on more than one occasion when he would lose his.

Another nice feature was I could take the key out of the ignition while the car was running. It was useful when I needed to get something out of the trunk and didn't want to shut the car off.

Even until they started putting resistors in the keys on GMs, there were only a limited number of key combinations for GM cars.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

That story is too funny....and I thought it was bad when I told them I had a Camaro and they didn't know it was a Chevy!
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I went to Pep Boys and told them I had a 70 Dodge Dart. They asked what motor it had in it and said 350? I said it was a Dodge. He then said yea, is it a 350. I said a 350 is a Chevy motor. It has a 340 Dodge in it. He goes "oh".

Speaking of books being wrong, I went to NTW for a set of wheels for the Dodge. I said it is a 5 lug on a 4" bolt circle. He said no it's 5 lugs on a 4.5" bolt circle. I said no it's a 4" circle and all A body Dodges are 4". He said no it's 4.5" see it's right here in my book. I said get a tape measure and lets go look. He measured it and said wow, I guess the book is wrong. I said No kidding. Of coarse his book showed no wheels with a 5 on 4 bolt pattern.

That's a hilarious story N20LT4Bird. All manufacturers had that key problem. My mom's 69 Marquis trunk key fit a friend of mines trunk. I walked up just to try it and it opened. He freaked out. Just luck.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Same key story... My other car is a '72 MGB, I am in a pretty large club. When we have big gatherings for shows we usually stay at a hotel in the hosting city. So we usually drink in the parking lot each night, hang out, tell stories etc... Well we started thinking of pranks we could pull and discovered there were only like 3 keys that fit the trunk on these cars and between us we had all three... We took one guys spare tire and put it in the auction the next night. The look on his face as he slowly realized that the spare up for bid was his, and he had to bid on it to get it back....
            NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
            (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum86
              You also should of told him that your blinker fluid was low and that you needed more as well... I'm sure he would of got the managers help for that one...
              LOL! That's a good one.
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

My favorite one wasn't with PepBoys, but Advance Auto...

"I need a serpetine belt"..."what kinda belt?" I endind up having to show em what a serpetine belt was on my car...and he swore it was a timing belt. Whatever...just give me my timing belt.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

My boss has an 86 chevy p/u and a 78 corvette that use the same ignition key...He thought he lost his keys to the vette so I was tryin all the keys in the office until finally tried the keys to the truck and tada...it worked.
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                    Yup. I hate to admit it, but I worked as a technician and service writer at Pep Boys while I was going to college. Yes, they are idiots (what do you want for 6 bucks an hour?) and yes the computer systems are not very good and are filled with errors and misinformation.

My best friend (and roomate) and I worked there for 3 years though. What a blast! Ive got more stories from Pep Boys to keep me smiling for years to come ....One of my favorites was when he and I did a set of tires on a cavalier for a customer. We literally could do a set of tires in 10 minutes (2 guys, 2 of each machine, 4 tires, mounted, balanced - 10 minutes.) We used to make a game of how fast we could do it when working together. Anyways, we did these tires and handed the work order in to the writer. THe customer was and shopping and keeping an eye on the parking lot to see is his car was finished. After an hour and half of the customer makes his way around to the service desk and asks the writer where the H*** is his car. The writer calls me up and I tell him it was done over an hour ago. The customer tells me his car never left the parking spot.....of course I say "thats impossible.....its done....we had it done ten minutes after we got the keys." So, I went out to show the customer his new tires and the car I worked on was GONE! The customers car was still there, unmoved. We finally figured out that his keys started another Cavalier in the lot...same year...everything. We mounted four tires on another customer's car while they were in buying parts. Whoever it was drove away with four BRAND NEW tires and didnt even know it! What are the chances of that happening?? We laughed for days on that one!
                    That is freaking hilarious!! That made my day Sean!

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                      My favorite one wasn't with PepBoys, but Advance Auto...

"I need a serpetine belt"..."what kinda belt?" I endind up having to show em what a serpetine belt was on my car...and he swore it was a timing belt. Whatever...just give me my timing belt.

I've found with advance it is much easier to tell them I have a Trans AM than explain its a formula. I bought a set of brake pads there once and didn't realize it till I got home but they gave me a pair of shoes for the rear brakes after I took 10 minutes explaining that it was a firebird but it has the V8.
                      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
                      X