Speedo Calibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Calibration

Hey, I'm putting in a 3:42 rear end next week, what can I get to recalibrate the speedo? I can't afford HP tuners. Is there a computer box or something I can get for that? I have 3:08's now. 99 Firebird V6 A4

Originally posted by jessica2112
    Hey, I'm putting in a 3:42 rear end next week, what can I get to recalibrate the speedo? I can't afford HP tuners. Is there a computer box or something I can get for that? I have 3:08's now. 99 Firebird V6 A4
    Hmmmm....pretty much all hand held programmers will do. You could do a mail order tune. There's also on-line programs that you sign up for where you hook up your lap top directly to your car. If you were to do a mail order or on line tune, the extra benefit of that would be you could program your cars computer so you get the most performance out of your car as well....spark timing advance, fans turn on earlier, etc...

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is to go to a place (dealer, local shop, etc...) that could do it for you.

I'd suggest for that extra $$$ to tune your computer properly as well as recalibrating your speedo...that way you get more out of it Your only going from a 3.08 to a 3.42 anyways, your speedo should only be like 3% off or so (don't quote me on that though). Non the less, your speed won't be a lot off.
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Well, I have not heard of a hand held for a 99. Plus I have a V6 with an sc. I do have a PCM I bought on e-bay sitting in my closet. Could I send that out? Where too? Just tell them I (Next week install) have headers, and the sc that is already in? That's basically all the mods, till my rear end get's installed. Hey, what's this on line programming? I have a laptop, just don't make the process longer then an hour or so, then my batteries crap out. It's wireless, should make it to the parking lot...

Comment

Originally posted by jessica2112
        Well, I have not heard of a hand held for a 99. Plus I have a V6 with an sc. I do have a PCM I bought on e-bay sitting in my closet. Could I send that out? Where too? Just tell them I (Next week install) have headers, and the sc that is already in? That's basically all the mods, till my rear end get's installed. Hey, what's this on line programming? I have a laptop, just don't make the process longer then an hour or so, then my batteries crap out. It's wireless, should make it to the parking lot...
        Hmmm...they do have hand helds for a 99...not sure on the V6 portion though. As far as sending your other PCM out, I know that PCMForLess does tuning. Explain what you have (99 firebird, V6, A4, etc...) and let them know what mods are done (what brand sc, how many lbs. of boost, what kinds of headers, rear end, etc...). I've never done it, but I would be as specific as possible. A lot of people on these boards have great things to say about sending your PCM to get tuned also, so that's good piece of mind.

As far as on line programming is concerned, I believe it's MadZ28 that does that. On the home page for this site (F-body.com) there's a list of sponsors...he's one of them. Just click on the link and you'll be good. You do need an adapter cable though (forgot the name of the cable) to hook up your lap top to your diagnostic port under your dash (by your right knee when you drive). The cable I believe costs about 90 bucks. The good thing about this is you can get updates and change your PCM's tuning as you do more mods to your car. All of this depends on what type of program you sign up for though.
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering if any mail order tuners will be able to tune her car. Yea they probably have tons of experience with V8 cars but how many V6s with a blower have they ever tuned. Maybe they have. The only way to know is ask them. However I bet it's very limited. I was just thinking that you might be a whole lot better off finding someone that can dyno tune it. There is a guy here in Atlanta that does it for about $100 for 3 pulls including tuning. They can fix the Speedo at the same time along with the fan temp settings.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The problem you will be faced with is that the GM program code for OBDII V6s hadn't been successfully decoded as of a year ago. That problem prevents alot of small town dyno tune fixes like what are available for the V8 cars. Maybe things have changed as of late, but haven't heard any news. I do believe a used Hypertech for V6 models can cover all the other things like speedo calibration, fan settings, etc..... you just can't do the tune for the blower. There are also a few companies that make a speedo calibrator, I'll see what I can dig up.

Comment

Hmmm, I'd have to take the vacation days I have to go up there. I'm trying to use 2 of the 5 I have- for next week to put the headers on, and install the rear end. If these yahoo's at work would get their s*** together, and give me the OK. It's being "discussed".

Comment

Working...
              X