WTB SLP clutch for 94 Z

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB SLP clutch for 94 Z

I'd like to replace the flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing and release bearing in my 94 Z with the SLP lightweight goodies. Where is the best place to get them??

Check with Mike at Stealth Performance, for the SLP parts.

www.stealthperf.com

Also you may want to consider the Star Spec clutch & light flywheel.

www.speclutches.com

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

SLP price for light flywheel and clutch is 704.90

SPEC price for stage 1 with light flywheel is 638.00

SPEC insludes an alignment tool. Does SLP?

Opinions?? Recomendations??

Thanks
      Tracy

Comment

I prefer the Spec parts.

Also, the SLP flywheel is NOT aluminum & is heavier than the Spec Aluminum unit.

I am running the Spec stage 3 with flywheel in my LS1.

Comment

The SPEC flywheel I priced is Steel, what is the weight saving over stock with this unit? SPEC also offers an aluminum piece for $160.00 more. Does aluminum have the same lifespan and durability as the steel?

Comment

this info is for an LS1......

The complete aluminum flywheel & clutch assembly was 10 lbs lighter than the OE stuff.

The flywheel had more than a 10 lb difference, but the clutch was a little heavier than the OE......... total weight was the 10 lb lighter.

Gordon

Comment

THX..

I sent an email to SPEC asking what the weight diff is between their billet steel unit and the OE. I'll post the reply here when I get it.

Tracy

Comment

I have posted this before but I will again. SPEC rocks. I bought a stage 2 clutch and installed it. It was slipping going into 2nd when I was on it. They sent me a stage 3 just charged me the difference. The stage 3 grabbed AWESOME! I took it to the track and missed the 2-3 shift (back into first) with a full 100 HP of NOS running. Blew the clutch right through the bellhousing of the tranny - parts everywhere!

I called SPEC to see if they could help me out and sell me a new disk and rebuild the pressure plate. I told them exactly what happened. They rebuilt the pressure plate and sent me a new updated disk for FREE! The owner/manager told me on the phone that the clutch should have ripped my input shaft off, so they're going to replace it - no charge. Tell me thats not standing behind your product!

Buy a stage 3 SPEC clutch.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

reply from SPEC

reply from SPEC:

The stage 1 retails for $399, and is several steps above the stock unit.
                  The billet steel is the same weight as the stock unit. Most billet steels
                  are much heavier than the stock unit (except the hp GM Perf unit which is
                  prone to warpage and cannot be resurfaced). Our lightweight is the the
                  aluminum, which is 12 lbs lighter than stock, resurfacable, rebuidable and
                  guaranteed not to warp.
                  Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

SPEC Customer Service
                  800-828-4379

Comment

Does anyone know if I can use my stock flywheel after it is resurfaced with the SPEC stage 1?

Tracy

Comment

Yes, but if its not burnt or scored, I would just emery cloth it real good. I try to avoid cutting flywheels where I can. But I run a stock flywheel and a stage 3 SPEC
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

THANKS for that info!! you just saved me $239.. I was going to replace my stock flywheel with 51 k on it, but now that I see there is no weight savings with the billet steel and my stock one can be cleaned up and reused I think I'll save some $$.

Tracy

Comment

The original oem GM clutch gave me 130,000 miles until the disc developed a crack between one of the springs and the spline bushing....the disc still had plenty of material left.

Then I did a cheapo LUK clutch from Pep Boys, it was so bad after 30,000 miles it was tough to get up a highway hill and keep up with traffic.

I went with the Center Force 75,000 miles ago, and its slipping now, and will be dead soon....I just want to make it until I redo the engine in about 5 to 10 thousand miles.

I'm in this for the long haul, I need a good long lasting clutch...which will do me the best?

Gordon, you mentioned drilling out a port on the clutch slave cylinder, any details on that?

Thanx
                          The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

[i]

Gordon, you mentioned drilling out a port on the clutch slave cylinder, any details on that?

Thanx [/B]

yes.... I've written it up a few times & haven't saved it ....duhhhhh.... Oh... it's an orifice in the line itself.

I'll post it here later... I don't have time to write it out right now.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                            X