S- pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S- pipe

My hearders are here, and I need to get a "S" pipe. The muffler shop will only work from the cat back. So I need that to go from the y-pipe to cat right? 3" y pipe and cat is what I have. He refuses to cut a mandrel bent u and make an s. He said the welds wont hold. ANy help?

Can't help you but I'm glad you found your headers. Where were they?
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

you mean like the install kit that comes with the loudmouths >??
      -Nick-
      95 A4 Z28

Comment

Glad to hear you got everything worked out and finally got those headers before you started to go "postal" on everyone

So you're saying that your exhaust system needs to be set up like this....
        Headers to y-pipe
        y-pipe to s-pipe
        s-pipe to cat
        catback

I'm not familiar with the V6's, so my question is why exactly do you need to have an s-pipe? Doesn't your y-pipe go to your cat? (single cat I'm assuming, not sure though)
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Turns out a kid had them and was hiding them from his mom. I took the toys back on Monday. I got them saturday. It had a note on the box explaining it, and I wanted to call or write to say thank you but it was anonomous. Can't thank her enough. CAI headers are shorty short short. But they look great chromed. Tomorrow I get my rear end put in. My brother found me a 2000 with an Eaton and 3:42's . It had an open in it. The salvage put the set up in for me. I'm going to help, so I can see how it's done. Then next week, I will take off 2 days, Thurs Fri and put the headers on. That's why I need the spipe.

Comment

Originally posted by 95z28
            you mean like the install kit that comes with the loudmouths >??
            That's what I was thinking also. The loudmouth s-pipe goes on after the cat though. Being that you said they only work from the cat back, I'm assuming this s-pipe needs to go before the cat. I'm still having trouble figuring out why you need an s-pipe before your cat. Your y-pipe should be the connection between your headers and your cat.

The loudmouth installation kit has an S-pipe that looks like the following attachment...but am still wondering why it's needed before the cat
            Attached Files
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Maybe the s pipe is after the cat. I'm not sure. The muffler guy said that he refused to put on a 3" unless it is a cat back. So I thought I would go 2 1/2 after the cat. I have a nice v8 muffler and dual tips I just had put on and still want to use. It was all welded together. I can change that later, If I need to. This is from Greyman's site. He resides at FBV6.com
              The stock exhaust system for the 3.8L F-Body is 2.25” ID

The stock Y pipe terminates (welded at factory) at the catalytic converter and is 3” ID.

The stock CAT is 3” ID in and 2.25” ID out.

The stock S pipe has an O2 sensor boss for the rear O2 emissions sensor.

The stock S pipe is 2.25” ID as is the rest of the exhaust piping from that point on up to the muffler ‘IN’ port.

The stock tail pipes…if you have stock dual tips are 2.0” ID at the muffler ‘OUT’ ports.

Mandrel Bent: Mandrel bending allows the piping to retain its full diameter through bends. This is much preferred over non mandrel bent pipes. Non mandrel bends severely crimp and pinch the pipe through bends and this greatly reduces the ID of the pipe. Most muffler shops DO NOT have a mandrel bender. Name brand aftermarket catback systems feature mandrel bend pipes.

Dedicated (designed specifically for) V6 cat back systems are 2.5” and typically start AFTER the S pipe. They are made for your specific year of vehicle so they require no further modifications. They are the easiest to install and should come with everything you need.

3” cat back systems are originally designed for the V8 F-Body but can be easily adapted for use on the V6 F-Body car.

Not all 3” (v8) cat back systems come with an S pipe. (model year dependant)

V8 tail pipe hangers are different than v6 tail pipe hangers.

Not all cat back systems come with transverse ‘under gas tank’ oval muffler. Some (such as the SLP LM) come with a bullet style ‘resonator’ that usually mounts inline in the mid pipe.

Not all cat back systems feature dual tip exhaust.

So I guess it is after the cat.
              I don't want to buy a cat back, when all I need is the s-pipe and intermediate pipe and over axle.

Comment

95 that is exactly what I need. Yes it is after the cat. I found a place that used to sell them, but it is not listed anymore. The muffler shop does not have it. I do not understand that. The guy was kinda an ******* to me. Like I had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe I don't. I have half of the exaust system I need, I guess.

Jessica, we know you're frustrated, but if you don't censor you own posts...........

let's just not go there...... Admin

Comment

Well, this is what it seems to me....

Your headers and y-pipe are good to go....

If you want a 3 inch exhaust, your cat is going to need to be changed to have a 3 inch outlet.

You'll need a 3" s-pipe as well as the rest 'til the muffler.
                  The muffler would then have to be swapped to have a 3" inlet.

So it seems like a cat back is in order if you want 3".

The only other option is to leave your catback you have now, and just do your headers and y-pipe.

To have a 3 inch exhaust without swapping your muffler or cat would be....well....a lot of money and pretty pointless as well.

Decide on what route you want to go and we'll try and help you out the best we can.

Comment

What about going to 2 1/2" after the cat. It is 3" out and the muffler is 2 1/2" in. I have a magnaflow cat at home.

Comment

Originally posted by jessica2112
                      What about going to 2 1/2" after the cat. It is 3" out and the muffler is 2 1/2" in.? I have a magnaflow cat at home.
                      Still wouldn't work.....your cat is 3" out. Sometime between your cat and your muffler, your exhaust pipe would need to reduce in diameter size to match the inlet of the muffler.

I don't know if they make an exhaust pipe for your car like that...I've never seen anything like that. Sure, anything can be done, but it's at your expense...and something like that custom fabricated isn't going to be cheap.

My suggestion would be to get yourself a full 3" catback which would obviously require to swap out your muffler. In the end it's better for performance, sound, and your wallet...er...purse

Comment

On a quick side note....

Something else you can do is just leave in your stock catback. With headers though, and all the money you spent on them, it just seems like I would want to get the most I can out of them. They still perform nicely on a stock exhaust setup, but with a full 3" catback to compliment your headers/y-pipe, you can get the most out of your headers that way

Comment

Well, what I meant is put a reducer on the cat out to 2 1/2 and run that till I can afford a 3" cat back. But see, I still run into the s-pipe problem....

Comment

Originally posted by jessica2112
                            Well, what I meant is put a resucer on the cat out to 2 1/2 and run that till I can afford a 3" cat back. But see, I still run into the s-pipe problem....
                            Hmmmm...I see what you're saying.

It all depends on how long your reducer is. It would probably be a lot easier to put on one that goes from 3" to 2 1/4" so it could fit on to your stock s-pipe. Then again though, your downstream O2 sensor is on your s-pipe...it would be really tough to get that to work if there isn't much slack.

Here's my strong suggestion to save you a headache as well as some $$$. If you cannot afford a different catback right now, then just leave your stock catback. Just slap on your headers/y-pipe and leave it at that until you can finish the setup. Your gains would be minimal going from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2, wouldn't be worth the money you would spend, would be pretty tricky to do, and why even bother if you're going to swap that out once you can afford a 3" catback.

Like I said, technically anything can be done....but at a nice cost complimented with a nice headache.

Comment

With the amount of air that you are flowing, a stock Z28 catback would work just fine. That would solve a few of the issues. There is no reason why a muffler shop could not fab a pipe to mate the cat with a stock Z28 catback. You may have to take the appropriate measurements and have it built seperate. Most issues regarding whether or not they want to do certain work is related specifically to the vehicle in question. When fabbing something generic that is off the car, there isn't any issue. Doing it on the car may have them bound by certain laws that don't apply for just an off the car pipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X