Low RPM stumble problem found!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low RPM stumble problem found!

I'll give some major key clues and we'll see who can guess what it was.

94 LT1, 6spd, SLP CAI-Shorties-2 on the left, Random cat, centerforce DF, SLP lightweight flywheel. 168,000 miles

4 second cranking to start when warm
    Stumble below 2k in closed and open loop (bad stumble when in 6th)
    New Opti, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, egr, pcv
    158 Long term fuel trim on passenger side.
    Swapping sides with the injectors didn't move the 158 to the other bank.
    Cleaned extremely dirty and oil saturated Throttle Body w/ new gaskets
    Fuel pressure in spec and steady w/ clean injectors
    You can assume all replaced parts were good.

I got more good clues, or I'll just tell you if I'm being a dork about it.

Sean (happy to know why!!!)
    1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

bad muffler bearings?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

No gas in the gas tank? lol
      1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
      370 RWHP / 352 TQ
      CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
        bad muffler bearings?
        I was to the point where I was going to change those.
        Problem was driving crazy. Or technically not driving me.

My problem started out as the typical broken exhaust manifold bolt. Got the shorties because there's no clearence to remove it, and the SLPs use a different bolt

Problem still exsisted after the install

Sean
        1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

I guess that wasn't fun eh? We'll just in case somebody ever searches for this problem, here is the answer.

Head gasket blown to an adjacent head bolt. Compression loss into the valve cover area.

I have decided to send the heads to Lloyd and then run the stock cam for now. 1.6 rockers and some tuning too.

I'll pull the motor next year after we get a house with a bigger garage.

Have a good day!
          sean
          Attached Files

Comment

hmm.... my list of what I replaced is much longer than that! Even did Intake manifold last week, map sensor too! Didn't get a chance to put the new Fuel Pressure Regulator in yet.

What cyl was it?
            1995 Firebird Formula
            (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by Formulaboy95
              What cyl was it?
              8 - compression check would be the best tool to diagnose this problem.

One big key was that it was an open and closed loop problem. I also had tons of oil blow-by in the throttle body and around the filler neck. No water in oil or vice versa.

Sean

Comment

I'm glad you found the problem. I have a similar low end stumble and actually found a similar problem. Only my compression was lost through a loose plug.

However, the stumble still didn't go away for me. The car did run smoother, but still had the stumble that's driving me insane.
                But again, I'm glad you're getting yours fixed, as this is one of the worst problems for anyone to diagnose.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                X