No announcement yet.

Got my 4" mufflex exhaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first saw Fred's pics, I also thought his pan hard brace looked like it had been "worked". But after looking at mine, it appears to be the same. Fred's just looks a little rough and so I suspect it is just a digital illusion.

How much more clearance do you need Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      When I first saw Fred's pics, I also thought his pan hard brace looked like it had been "worked". But after looking at mine, it appears to be the same. Fred's just looks a little rough and so I suspect it is just a digital illusion.

How much more clearance do you need Joe?
      It appears as though ½"-¾" should do it. I was even tempted to flatten the exhaust tube at that point, but I don't think I want to do it that way. I want it to be right without a compromise.

One other point. Dayum, the exhaust is loud with it open just after the cats. Sounds great in the upper rpms.

Comment

I wouldn't take the brace off of a "street" car... I agree that "arm" that holds the panhard rod looks sort of flimsy. But it seems to be OK to remove it on the straight-line track cars. George took his off, but did do some reinforcing, and lowered the mounting points for both ends of the bar.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I ordered the BMR panhard brace relocation kit, it should arrive in a day or two. In talking with Fred at BMR, the kit was originally designed to afford enough room to run two 3" pipes side by side over the axle for true duals. There should be plenty of room for a single 4". I'll do the install and post a followup especially for Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            I ordered the BMR panhard brace relocation kit, it should arrive in a day or two. In talking with Fred at BMR, the kit was originally designed to afford enough room to run two 3" pipes side by side over the axle for true duals. There should be plenty of room for a single 4". I'll do the install and post a followup especially for Kevin.
            Thanks! I'll probably end up buying one of those too! That stock brace offends me to look at it and it has been in my way a long time.

Comment

I installed the brace relocation kit, the fit and finish is very good. It took me about a half hour total and included the clean up. It affords plenty of room for the exhaust! A true bolt on kit that is easy to install and works as described. A little pricey, but the quality is there. I'll post followup pics as soon as I finish the mufflex installation.

Comment

I responded to your PM on the hangers.... passenger side triangle tab hole should line up with the stock hanger. Drivers side you need to bolt an angle bracket to the tab attached to the tailpipe, and the horizontal part of the angle goes into the stock rubber isolator. I don't recall seeing the angle braket laying around anywhere, but it looked like a standard part you could buy at a hardware store, or maybe something Mufflex bent out of a piece of flat stock, just large enough to put a bolt through to bolt it to the tab on the tailpipe, and narrow enough to fit into the rubber isolator.

As I recall, it was a little flimsy, and would slip out of the rubber isolator, so I put a pin through the far end so it couldn't slide out.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I think i am going to fab something. By trying to use the factory hangers, the muffler sits a little too low, I want it tucked up closer to the heat shield and level. It won't take much, I was just wondering what solution you had come up with.

Comment

The mufflex is installed! This system rocks. Has a definate rumble at idle, a great WOT roar. No rattles, no bumps, totally satisfied. It seems to have the same power as if there were no cat back at all. This system definately flows enough for when I add a little something down the road.
                    As soon as possible, I'll post pics of how well the panhard brace and the mufflex fit.

Comment

How did you put the I-pipe back together..... after Godzilla tore it in two to get it out of my car?

I really liked the E-X-T-R-E-M-E-L-Y deep rumble at about 2,000-2,500RPM under 2/3 throttle. It just said "raw horsepower"............
                      Fred

Comment

The had the weld cut on the original slip fit and the godzilla cut was rewelded. It basically looks and works like the original. I used a 4" band clamp to hold the pipes together just as it was supposed to be. I should have taken pics of the repair, it looks great. That rumble does sound almost like a big block.

here's a link to a thread with pics:

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12968

Comment

Working...
                        X