Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tools good to have for 4th Gens and F-bods in General?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools good to have for 4th Gens and F-bods in General?

I have recently come into hand, the Helms manuals for my 02 Hawk. It is great for showing what order to fix things but it has one major drawback... in the directions it does not state which tools or what the bolt sizes are...

For example: I recently had to replace my driver's side seat-belt guide on the headrest. I looked it up in the helms manual to figure out the recommended procedure. I read up only to find out that, the directions do not state what the bolt size, type, and the proper tool to disconnect the seat belt from the chassis, so I could rethread the seat belt through the new shoulder harness (the shoulder seat-belt harness uses two phillips screw's) . It also did not tell me exactly how to remove the plastic cover, which covered the bolt holding the seat belt. After twisting it around, I pried it off with a screwdriver. Afterwards it looks like the plastic cover comes off by twisting one side of the piece that holds it in (it is not complete - but has a gap in the parts that goes inside the plastic), out of the cover and slowly twist it out of the plastic mounting ... This was not mentioned in the Helms manual directions.
    To further complicate things the directions do not state that bolt is actually a Torx bolt. I try my torx size 46, which workes with 78-82 GM A-body's but it seems loose. I then had to run down to autozone, to get a socket set of various size torx bolts for $16 at the local Autozone. Out of the 16 peice set, the only bolt I needed was the torx #50 socket for the 3/8" socket wrench.

After all the headache's trying to just take off the bolt I wish the helms included

- The type of screw used for the seat-belt shoulder harness
    - The exact method for taking off the plastic cover for the seat belt anchor bolt
    - The seat belt anchor bolt is a Torx bolt type (aka star type)
    - The seat belt Torx bolt being a number 50 torx size that fit's a 3/8" socket driver

if I knew all of this ahead of time, I could of saved a lot of time and bought only the size #50 torx bolt (GM uses torx (start) bolts for the seat belts in all of its various cars throught the years)

this got me wondering

Does anyone have a list of reccommended tools for the 4th Gen, say something along the lines

10 mm socket (deep well and regular) - used everywhere) and wrench
    #50 torx socket - used for seat belt anchor bolts
    17 mm wrench and socket - used for shock tower nuts (ex: istalling STB) (not sure size is correct)

I figure WE could concentrate on gathering only the tools used for our cars vs having a set that has 3000 some odd other tools that will never touch our cars.

I figure that exact directions taking things off and on, say the interior plastic pieces, is a tall order .. but maybe a list of tools that will be used (and where!) on our cars, would be great info to know.

Does anyone know of any such tool lists that would make our lives easier?
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

I think the most valuable tools for basic repair in my collection are:

½" & 3/8" drive SAE and Metric sockets, short and deep.
    all fitting tools such as torx, hex-allen, screw
    Air ratchet, impact, grinder, saw, sander.
    various extensions from 1" to 6" as well as u-joints.
    various pullers for pulleys and balancers
    Ratcheting box end wrenches for close quarters
    02 sensor socket- self explainatory
    Ball joint seperators- self explainatory
    Coil spring compressor- self explainatory
    Valve spring compressor- self explainatory
    tap and die set for fixing messed up threads
    brake caliper compressor- self explainatory
    scan tool- self explainatory

I literally have 3 large craftsman tool cabinets just full of stuff for about any type of repair.

Comment

I have so many hours of work in to my car by myself now that you would think it was my job or something.

As far as tools go, I find that sets of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets are a must...especially 3/8 and 1/2. Get both metric and standard. Open and closed end wrenches are also a must. I know it's pretty arbitrary, but it's always a good idea to have sets of tools. There are bolts I have come across that are more common than others; but then again, I've come across many many different bolts on my car.

Deep bolt sockets aren't really necessary unless you are doing bigger jobs usually. Extensions, swivels, adapters, torx bits, needle nose and regular pliers, vice grips, a hammer, center punches, magnets, c-clamps, scan tools, pullers, and miscellaneous screwdrivers have helped me out many times.

It's really hard to narrow down what tools to use. If you are doing suspension, generally larger size sockets, wrenches, box end wrenches, breaker bars, etc... are a must....possibly deep bolts also. If all you plan on doing is removing your battery (which I believe is 8mm, not positive though), alternator, various interior things, etc...then I would say smaller sockets on 3/8" and 1/4" drives are a must. If you plan on doing internal engine work, removing intake, etc...then you might as well have a nice set as well as a ft. lbs. (and even maybe an in. lbs.) torque wrench.

Like I said, pretty arbitrary, but I guess that's what the average technician can have anywhere from 5 to 70 grand in tools. It all basically comes down to the types of jobs you want to tackle with your car.

Just my pair of circular copper Abraham Lincolns
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Yeah....and everything Joe said as well
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
          After all the headache's trying to just take off the bolt I wish the helms included

- The type of screw used for the seat-belt shoulder harness
          - The exact method for taking off the plastic cover for the seat belt anchor bolt
          - The seat belt anchor bolt is a Torx bolt type (aka star type)
          - The seat belt Torx bolt being a number 50 torx size that fit's a 3/8" socket driver

I figure WE could concentrate on gathering only the tools used for our cars vs having a set that has 3000 some odd other tools that will never touch our cars.
          Unless there is a special tool involved, I don't know of any manual that will tell you the size of bolt or the type of screw, or what tool you will need. There may be a list of tools at the begining of the manual, or for each section, but not specific to the job.

It's usually cheaper to buy a set than to buy individual pieces. Also saves you having to run back out to the store to get that #30 torx bit that you didn't get because you only bought the #50, instead of buying the set.

IMHO you can never have too many tools. I don't have as many as Joe, but I do have 2 medium size boxes at home, and a very large one at work. Yes, I am a tool junkie!

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
          '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
          Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
            I don't know of any manual that will tell you the size of bolt or the type of screw, or what tool you will need.
            I'm not sure, but do the shop manuals have the size of every bolt listed. I know you can get one at helminc.com, but I myself was curious. I wanted to buy one soon hopefully.

Comment

Ratcheting wrenches. Worth their weight in gold on a 4th gen. I got a set of Crescent brand at home depot, 2 weeks later they were gone from the shelf. They were perfect too... 15 degree taper on the ratcheting side. I could get into any cramped area. (coolant drain plug on drivers side of the block)
              Bought another set of Duralast ones... not as good as the Crescent ones though.
              1995 Firebird Formula
              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by Formulaboy95
                Ratcheting wrenches. Worth their weight in gold on a 4th gen. I got a set of Crescent brand at home depot, 2 weeks later they were gone from the shelf. They were perfect too... 15 degree taper on the ratcheting side. I could get into any cramped area. (coolant drain plug on drivers side of the block)
                Bought another set of Duralast ones... not as good as the Crescent ones though.
                I agree.

I have craftsman ones as well...they're all right in my opinion. The best part about them is the 15 degree taper as well as the fact that on both ends are different sizes. So basically for 20 bucks, you get 10 different sizes.

Surprisingly though, one of the best box end ratchets I've ever used were Stanley ones. Nice grip, good feel, always on nice and snug...never any play.

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                  I'm not sure, but do the shop manuals have the size of every bolt listed. I know you can get one at helminc.com, but I myself was curious. I wanted to buy one soon hopefully.
                  I've got 2 GM shop manuals, '87 Camaro and '93 Trans Sport,(had one for the Formy but it was in the car when it was stolen) they both only have the special tools listed and except for 1 or 2 specific references don't give the size of the bolts/etc. This is true for all the aircraft service manuals I have ever seen, and the manuals I have at work at Caterpillar...Seems to be the standard way across all industries...

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                  '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                  Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
                    I've got 2 GM shop manuals, '87 Camaro and '93 Trans Sport,(had one for the Formy but it was in the car when it was stolen) they both only have the special tools listed and except for 1 or 2 specific references don't give the size of the bolts/etc. This is true for all the aircraft service manuals I have ever seen, and the manuals I have at work at Caterpillar...Seems to be the standard way across all industries...
                    Thanks for clarifying

Comment

As far as the interior goes, you can pretty much dissasemble and entire 4th gen interior with about 5 tools. A T15, 7mm, 10mm, 13mm, and a phillips head screwdriver. Almost all GM vehicles use 7mm screws in the dash. They hold on dash panels, center consoles, door panels, all kinds of stuff. They are everywhere. 10mm deep well holds on the cradle under the steering column on all GM trucks, which allows access to all the ignition wiring harness and the column itself. On some vehicles, T15's are used, but even a lot of those are 7mm outside hex hads. 13mm hold the seats down in a lot of GM cars (might be 12mm, can't remember), and we all know how important a phillips is. The T50 you already figured out for the seatbelts.

As far as quality goes, that's up to you. I've got Craftsman's that have split in half, and I've got the old bo-bo Autozone crap that have lasted me 10 years. Usually, I buy sockets as cheap as I can get them, because I know that eventually they are going to break and I'm not going to drive 20 miles to Sears when I could go 1 mile up the street to Advanced and get a tool cheaper.

I spend my money on stuff that I know I need to last. I have a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver that I've had for almost 7 years now, have literally shattered phillips bits, but the screwdriver keeps on going. I use Klein crimp tools (I'm an installer) because I like them and Thomas and Betts always seem to break the tips off. I use Dewalt drills because my last one lasted 9 years, and considering I use it every day, that's a lot of drilling. But when it comes to general straight screwdrivers, sockets, ratchets, and rarely used stuff like circular saws and other high dollar power tools, I buy whatever is on sale at Harbor Freight or whatever is on clearance at Big Lots or Kmart I'm sure if I was a carpenter, or an automotive mechanic that was taking big stuff apart on a daily basis I might spend more money on tools, but considering that all I work on is my own stuff, I ain't gonna throw a bunch of money into tools. Now if I win the lottery, the Snap-On man is gonna be retired
                      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
                      X