Check Engine Light Possible Issue w/Heat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Engine Light Possible Issue w/Heat

Ok, I'm no novice here but I have noticed a connection between when the Check Engine Light comes on, heat being released under my feet, and what a friend told me it was.

My friend told me the Air Flow Meter Sensor is shot, and the air is not being properly distributed or even ventilated from the vehicle, therefore causing poor fuel economy. That statement becomes even more apparent when I feel extreme heat come from the Brake and Gas pedals, and at that moment the Check Engine Light Comes on. The car runs fine, and it's in great condition. I have just that problem now.

Has this ever happen to anyone? and how hard is it to change the sensor? or even check to see the tube is not split or damaged.

Thanks for future replies
    1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

The "mass air flow sensor" (if that's what he was describing) measures air flow to the engine. You appear to be having problems with the air that ventilates the interior of the car.... not related in any way. A problem with the MAF sensor could cause fuel mileage problems.

The air vents for your feet might be a result of faulty vacuum from the engine or some component in the vacuum system that operates the flapper doors in the ventilation system being bad.... broken line, faulty system check valve, etc.

It would be a lot simpler to put a scanner on it and recall the code, rather than guess how the light coming on has something to do with hot air coming out of the heater/vent system. There is no connection between the engine management system and the heat/vent system.

You also might want to add some basic info about your car, like the year and any major mods. Not all years are the same.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I See, is it possible to just a handheld manual scanner to get the error code, due to the fact that every single AutoZone and AutoParts store in Montgomery, AL has there machines defective. I've never used one, I don't know if it's extremely difficult to use. Thanks
      1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Comment

What year? Make? Model? Engine? you should create a custom signature so that we know what you are talking about. There will be different answers depending on your combination and system.

Comment

sure sorry, I'm new to this car thingie

It's a 1994 Camaro 3.4L V6
          1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Comment

I'm not real knowledgeable on the V6's, but I suspect you need to pull the codes with a hand held OBD-I scanner like the AutoXray, Actron (not the $30 short the pins model), Snap-On, etc. Most of the parts stores only scan OBD-II cars.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So I have heard that the heat being distributed at feet level is basically a faulty wing flap? or MAF sensor? could you explain in detail
              1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Comment

As Injuneer says, M.A.F. stands for mass air flow sensor. It measures air coming into the engine (as in the intake manifold) in order to determine the proper amount of fuel to add as the engine is running. It has about as much to do with hot air in the passenger compartment as the rear view mirror. This is not your hot air problem.

It could be a broken flapper door under the dash allowing the hot air from the heater core to be brought into the passenger compartment......but that is not realted to the check engine light.

You should bring it to a good technician.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

that is a great explanation, thanks, we need more people like you Kudos!
                  1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Comment

Yep, these folks are great.

Comment

Working...
                    X