Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucks for Cali folk.

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
    $5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Seriously I find this a load of BS. I guess "sleeper" is going to become a popular term in Cali very soon.
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Bah!! Sans my exhaust and intake elbow, they couldn't find anything modified on the car that isn't street legal. Pffft!
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

the ricers must be freakin!!! if they have to go "stealth", it will mean removing those decals and spoilers and they stand to loose all that xtra HP they get from them..........

OMG

bwwwahahahahaahahaha

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

What a load of crap! I hope other states dont follow in there footsteps.

If the ricers have to go sleeper... Wont that mean they will be completely stock? 75% of the time all of there mods are purely apperance!
        No F-Body right now

Comment

hahahahahahahahaha... friggin smog Nazi stupid California legislators...

Just a new reason for me never to ever want to live there.

I just got a kick out of imagining a San Diego police office in attendance at the Woodward Dream Cruise. It would be like sensory overload... 40,000 modified cars... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

It may start with ricers ... but it opens the door for the People's Republic of California to expand it even further... and soon other states to follow.

The foot is in the door and the door is opening.
            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
            pics and info

Comment

The problem is that there is no clear definition, so much is open to the whim of the officer.

Comment

I wonder what they would do to a caravan of high end street rods going to car show? The hot rod builder across the street from is finishing up on a $125,000 Chevelle with a big bad 502 between the fenders...I guess this would get impounded in California for just taking it to the show. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. If they want to crack down on street racing, then crack down on street racing...my car is "MY" property! This is yet another reason why we should soon change our nation's name to the United Nannies of America.
                '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I think this is really geared towards the ricers. If they can shut down the ricers or really cramp their style then maybe their will be fewer on the street and less crashes and deaths.
                  97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
                  In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

I think someone should just fight a ticket they get, or sue the state and say that if they are going to crack down on street racing they cant just assume that anyone with a modified car is going to be street racing. Now this might not be the best example but thats like saying that just you own a gun you are going to go and rob a bank or kill someone its just stupid, and the law makers honestly have no other problems to deal with, than pulling someone over for having a sticker on their car???!!!
                    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

What a crock of bull many stock cars (vettes, vipers, f-bods and mustangs) are much faster then a highly modded "rice burner" off the showroom floor they might as well make any car with that name illegal. The americain government is turning into big brother.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                      2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Of course, we all know it's mostly the ricers they pull over. Steve and I even know that the cop who inspected the T/A after the sugar incident loved the car...and didn't care what I had under the hood. There was only one time where I was attempted to be nailed by an undercover cop. I was dumb enough to be at the illegal races several years ago...but didn't race, just watched. An older guy came up to me and said "You've got some flying $#@% in here, what mods do you have?" I said it's all stock (which it was at the time). He kept asking and asking, and kept searching around through the car. He finally realized it was and walked away.

If they do, for some reason, start trying to pick on *all* cars, thank goodness for the QTEC e-cutout

And I'm exactly with Steve...everything is 50 state legal, even down to the 1.6 RRs and headers. It's nice not to worry.
                        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                          Of course, we all know it's mostly the ricers they pull over. Steve and I even know that the cop who inspected the T/A after the sugar incident loved the car...and didn't care what I had under the hood. There was only one time where I was attempted to be nailed by an undercover cop. I was dumb enough to be at the illegal races several years ago...but didn't race, just watched. An older guy came up to me and said "You've got some flying $#@% in here, what mods do you have?" I said it's all stock (which it was at the time). He kept asking and asking, and kept searching around through the car. He finally realized it was and walked away.

If they do, for some reason, start trying to pick on *all* cars, thank goodness for the QTEC e-cutout

And I'm exactly with Steve...everything is 50 state legal, even down to the 1.6 RRs and headers. It's nice not to worry.
                          Well, not ALL of my stuff is legal...I don't think 93 LT1's came with LS6 injectors lol
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                            Well, not ALL of my stuff is legal...I don't think 93 LT1's came with LS6 injectors lol
                            Hooligan.
                            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Well what about the guy that just paid 150k for a ligenfelter twin turbo vette or the guy that just bought a new gto with the apperance package! ? I understand that they need to get rid of alot of street racing but to say that we cannot modify our own property is outrite crazy!

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Working...
                              X