Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water passages next to header bolt hole?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water passages next to header bolt hole?

How close are the water passages next to the exhaust manifold/header bolt holes, if there are any? The hole in front of #7 has been stripped, and I was going to retap it with a 7/16" tap. I know this is only 1/16" bigger than stock, but would I be OK doing this? Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
    How close are the water passages next to the exhaust manifold/header bolt holes, if there are any? The hole in front of #7 has been stripped, and I was going to retap it with a 7/16" tap. I know this is only 1/16" bigger than stock, but would I be OK doing this? Thanks in advance.
    So, I'm guessing the bolt is out?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Nope, but there is still 1/4" of the old bolt in there There is maybe 1/2" to the old bolt though. The drill is walking again, and I think that 1/2" should be enough, temporarily, until I pull the heads to do a full port job.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Why don't you helicoil it instead of tapping it bigger. I don't know what the stock head bolt is but by that statement I assume it is 3/8".

Tip for drilling the screw out. Drill a hole in the middle of the screw with a center drill. They don't walk as bad as a regular drill. Then drill the center drilled hole with the tap drill size. I think a #4 center drill may be about a 1/4 inch in diameter and the threads on the 3/8" tapped hole will help to center the drill. Maybe it's a #3. I don't remember.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for the tips.
          You're right, the bolts are 3/8". Doesn't the helicoil need to be threaded into 7/16" or larger to regain the original 3/8" inside diameter?

I drilled a pilot hole dead center (with a Cobalt bit), but after it got down so far, it just stopped. It was extremely hard material there for some reason. The only thing that seemed to be making progress is a tungsten carbide tipped 1/4" drill bit. It's starting to walk up the hole a tiny bit...I'm getting a bit scared. I think it's mainly due to poor access though. I have a right hand drill attachment that barely fits.

Can I hack the center drill to be < 2" due to the limited space? And do they come in extra hard material? Thanks...

Comment

Reading threads like this make me scared to install my own headers.
            1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.
              You're right, the bolts are 3/8". Doesn't the helicoil need to be threaded into 7/16" or larger to regain the original 3/8" inside diameter?

I drilled a pilot hole dead center (with a Cobalt bit), but after it got down so far, it just stopped. It was extremely hard material there for some reason. The only thing that seemed to be making progress is a tungsten carbide tipped 1/4" drill bit. It's starting to walk up the hole a tiny bit...I'm getting a bit scared. I think it's mainly due to poor access though. I have a right hand drill attachment that barely fits.

Can I hack the center drill to be < 2" due to the limited space? And do they come in extra hard material? Thanks...
              No. A 3/8-16 helicoil is drilled larger than 3/8" (I don't know the size off hand) and tapped with a helicoil tap that is 16 threads per inch. It's not the same thing as a 7/16" tap which would have a different threads per inch. You'll need a tap drill, helicoil tap, the helicoil and a helicoil insertion tool. I've made insertion tools out of a bolt with a pedestal grinder but you have to know how to do it. If you tap the hole with a 7/16" tap you will have to drill out the head for that one bolt to use a 7/16" bolt. That's not the right way to do it.

You can use a carbide drill to drill out the bolt. A head bolt is hardened. That's why you can't drill it with a steal bit.

If you already have a hole in it the center drill won't do you any good. That may be the hardest part. (You can cut a center drill with a cut off wheel or a pedestal grinder.)
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Here is your drill chart for helicoil taps.
                http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-helicoil.htm

Comment

Here is info on helicoils. We use Emhart all the time where I work.
                  http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.html

Comment

OK, thanks Jeff, I appreciate your help. I'll just get the helicoil and follow the chart. Dumb me always assumed that drilling and using a 7/16" tap was the same thing as the helicoil for that size.

Comment

OK, thanks Jeff, I appreciate your help. I'll just get the helicoil and follow the chart. Dumb me always assumed that drilling and using a 7/16" tap was the same thing as the helicoil for that size.
                      The only place that works is a #10-32 tap is almost exactly the same size as a #8-32 helicoil tap. The key is the thread pitch is the same.

Good luck.

Comment

I just got the whole heli-coil repair kit at Ace. It's for 3/8 x 16 and comes with the tap, screw in device and many coils. Thanks for wishing me luck...I'll need it

Comment

I just got the whole heli-coil repair kit at Ace. It's for 3/8 x 16 and comes with the tap, screw in device and many coils. Thanks for wishing me luck...I'll need it
                          Gee, I wonder what I should prepare for tonight lol
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Well, here's another obstacle. The drill bit required needs to be 25/64" for a 3/8" helicoil. I grinded one down short enough to fit, but had to cut it past the smooth shank. So now the bit is held by the chuck unevenly...due to it only holding the "spiral" part of the bit. I guess I need to either find a short 25/64" bit (which I can't seem to find in that odd size), or get a smaller right angle drill attachment.

Edit:
                            The only solution seems to be...purchase this: http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay...5&Color=009933
                            and somehow grind the extra 1/64" around the hole to make up for the 25/64" - 3/8" difference. I know it's a real hack job, but I can't figure out any other way to do this. Nobody seems to sell a 25/64" short bit, and the smallest right angle attachment will not fit the huge 25/64" bit. I'll be really careful, and if my luck turns around, hopefully get it done well.

Comment

Well, here's another obstacle. The drill bit required needs to be 25/64" for a 3/8" helicoil. I grinded one down short enough to fit, but had to cut it past the smooth shank. So now the bit is held by the chuck unevenly...due to it only holding the "spiral" part of the bit. I guess I need to either find a short 25/64" bit (which I can't seem to find in that odd size), or get a smaller right angle drill attachment.

Edit:
                              The only solution seems to be...purchase this: http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay...5&Color=009933
                              and somehow grind the extra 1/64" around the hole to make up for the 25/64" - 3/8" difference. I know it's a real hack job, but I can't figure out any other way to do this. Nobody seems to sell a 25/64" short bit, and the smallest right angle attachment will not fit the huge 25/64" bit. I'll be really careful, and if my luck turns around, hopefully get it done well.
                              If you can find someone with a pedestal grinder they can shorten it. Any machine should be able to shorten it and probably not charge you for it. I wouldn't. Spend the time and do it right.

Comment

Working...
                              X