MSD Ignition box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Ignition box

I've wanted to put one on my car for some time now. And wanted to know what your guy's experiences with them have been. Also where I could get a wireing harness for an lt1 and maybe a pic of one. Any info is appreciated.
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

My opinion is DON'T DO IT!!! Especially if its a daily driver. I had one in my car and it smoked a new opti in about 30,000 miles. The opti does not like it at all.....when I took mine apart, the cap contacts were fried and the rotor contact fell off. The stock ignition on these cars, especially 95+ are more than adequate.

My $0.02 though.....
    95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Seems like these optispark things are a PITA

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
        Seems like these optispark things are a PITA
        Yeah, I mean the box would be OK if we had a standard dist cap that was easily changed every 20-30K, but with the labor involved in the opti, your money is better spent elsewhere, IMO.

Comment

MSD sells a harness that can easily hook the box up to the coil.

I have run a 6A for many years on my daily driver with no observed problems with the opti. (even opened the opti up once when doing some other engine work and found no perceivable extra wear cause by the MSD)

There are lots of people that run the 6A series or similar box without any problem.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

What do you guys think of the 6al. and where can i get these harnesses.

Comment

LS1 is no problem....MSD even makes the coils for the LS1 motors.
              John
              97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
              02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
              99 Bravada

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                MSD sells a harness that can easily hook the box up to the coil.

I have run a 6A for many years on my daily driver with no observed problems with the opti. (even opened the opti up once when doing some other engine work and found no perceivable extra wear cause by the MSD)

There are lots of people that run the 6A series or similar box without any problem.
                Me too. I've had one for 50K miles with no problems.

Comment

I ran the MSD-6A with my "bolt-on" setup for 50,000 miles. When the Opti started showing signs of intermittent DTC 16 (loss of high res pulse), I pulled it apart. The cap and rotor section, at 65,000 total miles, was like new. The Opti problems were due to rust from the rear bearing retainer getting into the optical sensor. I couldn't see any problems that could have been caused by the MSD.

The stock ignition - when in good condition - should be adequate for most NA bolt-on setups. I ran the MSD because I was running nitrous.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hmmm.......interesting that I am the only one that experienced a problem.....could it be I was running a MSD blaster coil as well??

Comment

Originally posted by 4THGEN Z
                      Hmmm.......interesting that I am the only one that experienced a problem.....could it be I was running a MSD blaster coil as well??
                      Nope. I am running one as well. I think your opti was bad beforehand.
                      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The people who make the Delteq ignition system have suggested that the use of the MSD multiple discharge components causes breakdown of the dielectric stength of the cap. Since the conductors that route from the cap buttons to the wire towers are embedded in the cap, that would (at least in theory) promote crossfiring from the rotor to the conductors, or between conductors. It could also be speculated that since MSD developed a new cap and rotor, and claimed one of the benefits to be increased dielectric strength, that there might be some validity to the Delteq claim.

But to me its all speculation. Given the fact that Delteq's "Stage II" no-Opti system has been "coming soon" for at least the last two years, I would be tempted to question the validity of their claims.....
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Can you guys give me a link to where I can get harnesses and such?

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                            It could also be speculated that since MSD developed a new cap and rotor, and claimed one of the benefits to be increased dielectric strength, that there might be some validity to the Delteq claim.
                            Has MSD even brought the product to market yet? It's been in catalogs for quite some time but I've yet to actually see one.

Comment

I saw the MSD cap and rotor in the latest summit catalog, right below the GM replacement.

I just installed my 6AL box recently with the harness for direct hook up. I bought the harness on E-bay brand new for about 20 bucks.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
                              Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Working...
                              X