MSD Ignition box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerrysta
    I saw the MSD cap and rotor in the latest summit catalog, right below the GM replacement.
    Yup, and it's made from a rare element called unobtainium. just try and get one in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Yup, and it's made from a rare element called unobtainium. just try and get one in your hands.
      True. They have not made it to market, though have been in catalogs for what seems like forever.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

What all does the harness hook up to. And do you think you can send me a link of one online on ebay or wherever? i'm new to this ignition box stuff and need help, lol.
        96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Has MSD even brought the product to market yet? It's been in catalogs for quite some time but I've yet to actually see one.
          I only said they "developed it"..... not that they were actually making them.

The "harness" is an extremely simple device that allows you to connect the MSD box to your coil. You would still have to run a wire to ground and a wire to the + terminal in the red battery junction box for a power supply to the MSD.

http://www.msdignition.com/install_access_8.htm

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer

Comment

Sorry, I did not try to order it!

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
              Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer

The "harness" is an extremely simple device that allows you to connect the MSD box to your coil. You would still have to run a wire to ground and a wire to the + terminal in the red battery junction box for a power supply to the MSD.

http://www.msdignition.com/install_access_8.htm

How do I run a wire to the ground and the junction box? Like maybe do you have some pictures, and what would I need to splice.

Comment

Sometimes you have to think it through.... this isn't rocket science. The MSD box needs +12V power. That means you run a line from the red terminal box to the place you choose to locate your MSD. Not everyone puts them in the sam place. Look at the wire on the box to see what size it is. Get a wire of similar size or one gage heavier. Route it so you can't see it... in front of the radiator is good. MSD claims you don't need a fuse, nor a "switched" power source.

The box gets grounded to the nearest "good" metal ground location. I used the one on the radiator support. You'll see a bunch of other black ground wires going to the same screw. That tells you its a "good" ground. The wire on the box is probbly going to be long enough.

Its possible to do this stuff using a bit of common sense and basic knowledge.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well, is there like a place you splice it on the wireing harness to do all this? i'm not good with wireing

Comment

Any of you guys have pictures of your box set ups???

Comment

Mine is tucked right between the hood stop and the neck of the coolant bottle........
                        Attached Files

Comment

that looks like a pretty good place to put it, any others?

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
                            well, is there like a place you splice it on the wireing harness to do all this? i'm not good with wireing
                            Maybe you should just reconsider whether or not you should even be doing this (at least by yourself). But, one thing you can do is go over to Z28.com and ask about it there. There must be a thousand guys on that board that have MSDs on their Camaros. Or, you can contact MSD and see if they have an application specific instruction sheet or customer/project car photos that you can use for a guide.

Comment

I'm not sure why they couldn't follow my instructions.... run a wire from the +12V terminal box and another from a good ground. I gave a link to the harness. No other wiring required. No "splicing" required, other than to connect the power wire from the red box to the corresponding wire on the MSD box. The MSD stuff comes with decent instructions.

I would agree.... if you can't follow, get someone to do it for you. This is about as basic as it gets.
                              Fred

Comment

Ok well I think I have a pretty good grasp on things now. Thanks for the help. But if anyone else has comments please post.

Comment

Working...
                                X