No announcement yet.

cold air gain??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nevermind Joe. They say it is 2.5" here.

http://www.rapidmotorsports.com/mode...=1&intYearId=2
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I will vouch for the Morosso as well... and yes, its exactly like a K&N setup.
      1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

Comment

The seal piece is actually hard plactic. But, yes that is what it does.

Comment

The moroso web site http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=34001 says the intake was developed by Callaway. http://www.callawaycars.com/Camaro/camarohonker.htm

Here is the K&N http://www.knfilters.com/images/FIPK/57-3010-1.jpg
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

I guess the K&N and the Morosso are a little different then. It looks like on the K&N the seal plate is plastic and it is molded on to the air tube, where as the Morosso is a seperate metal plate. Here is a picture of mine:

99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
            93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Correct.... Callaway developed it and sold it for their typical high $$$ prices... I bought one in 1995, right after they dropped the price a bit. It included a K&N conical filter. The Moroso is a direct copy of the Callaway. The K&N FIPK looks very similar, but it is not the same unit as the Callaway/Moroso.

I found, using a Vericom 2000 performance computer, that the combination of the Callaway and a Borla catback were good for 3/10's in the 1/4-mile. That calculates out to about a 20flywheelHP gain for the two items together.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So "jpugs" did we answer your question? It looks like there are a few good options for you (and me). I think I'm leaning now to the Moroso/ Callaway one now not for any reason other than it has 1 big filter verses 2 smaller one. Maintanance thing I think.

Comment

Thanks to everybody who gave input to this thread. I decided on the Moroso. I went and picked it up from Year One this afternoon. I can't wait to get it on.

Comment

I was wondering, do you have to get underneath the car to install the SLP or the Moroso?

I have a K&N and had a bear of a time installing it (I don't have jack stands), so much that I took it to some local chuckleheads who did such a crap job installing that the filter popped off!

I ended up yanking the whole thing and putting the stock piping back in.

It's killin' me, since my car's all choked up during WOT or high speeds.

I'm looking for something that's easy to put it, doesn't require me to screw something in *blind* and it wouldn't hurt if it looked great.

I'm leaning towards the SLP, because it looks like I can cram those two little filters down from the top of the car, instead of getting underneath the car. But I'd like to hear from someone who has one before I go and waste money.

Comment

Yes to the Moroso. It was a definate PITA. The instructions were not very clear in where to drill the holes either. I pushed it as far as I could to the fender and I ended up having to cut about a half inch off the end near the MAF sensor. I couldn't get the hood to close all the way either. I also had to melt the tube to put a dent in it to clear a bleader valve on the ABS system just to get the hood to close. Taking the thing off and putting it back on isn't easy either. I'm not pleased with the design.

If I had to do it again, I would get the SLP but I don't know if you have to go under the car with it either. I think Joe can answer that question.

Comment

Sorry you're having fits.....The SLP all goes in from the top. Click the attachment for the install directions.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Interessting thread. I've been contemplating between the K&N and the SLP since I bought my T/A a little over 2 months ago.

After reading all this, I think I made up my mind and go with the SLP.

It is stainless steel, it mounts from the top and it's currently on sale at SLP.
                          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Anyone know if you can put the SLP CAI on a 93 LT1 (no stock MAF) along with the Vortech intake elbow without any problems? Thanks.
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                              I'm not understanding how that plate attaches. I need to see it installed. Do you know where any pictures are of it installed?
                              the SLP ram hood on the 93-97 pontiac is the MOST efficient cold air system there is.

the slp ultra z hood and attachements do the same for the camaro.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X