The engine is out....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The engine is out....

I just wanted to open a post to give proper respect to those of you that have pulled your engines. It was not quite as difficult as I thought, but still a challenge. I'm getting ready to have the engine and trans rebuilt.

As you will see in this pic, we removed the engine and trans at once, out the top. Scroll to the bottom to see the pic.

www.cardomain.com/ride/634484/2

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Nice job.... looks like you hooked a big one

First step in a long journey, but its an important one. I was working in Italy when the engine finally came out of my car.... I missed the show. Very dissapointing.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Believe it or not, of all the things I'm worried about as far as putting it back in, the worst thing is all of those sensors from the wiring harness. I labeled them I just dread the day that I have to reconnect them!

This is the first time I have ever pulled a motor and have to say I am really terrified to see the motor out! Actually it's both scary and exciting.

I can't wait until the day that I get to fire it up the first time, but that's probably six months from now.

I'll try to get some better res picks.

Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysta
        Believe it or not, of all the things I'm worried about as far as putting it back in, the worst thing is all of those sensors from the wiring harness. I labeled them I just dread the day that I have to reconnect them!

This is the first time I have ever pulled a motor and have to say I am really terrified to see the motor out! Actually it's both scary and exciting.

I can't wait until the day that I get to fire it up the first time, but that's probably six months from now.

I'll try to get some better res picks.
        I know it feels that way, but plugging the sensors back in is quite possibly the easiest part of the re-install. Don't forget all the block and chassis grounds when it goes back in.

Comment

Yes nice job, are you doing the rebuild yourself.
          JackZ28
          K & N CAI
          Kooks Header LT's
          Free Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust
          Y-Pipe
          Synthetic Fluids

Comment

No, a friend of mines father is an engine buider and he's doing the rebuild. I went all over the map on what I wanted to do. Eventually I settled on a rebuild of the stock motor mainly due to the cost. I really was pretty decided on a 396 stroker but it wound up being just too expensive. It will be bored to 355 and then he is going to the max on the head porting. This is where his dad has a special skill.

If any of you have heard of Mallett Corvette, his dad actually took their 427 project and through his recommeded tweeks picked up 60 more horsepower compared to what the cars were already making. I can't wait to see what he does with my car.

People should realize when you rebuild a motor there is a lot involved. I learned that when I started researching it. Besides the motor you have the heads and then all of the supporting parts such as fuel pump and injectors, throttle body, suspension etc...

In the end for my first build I was more comfortable spending 6k compared to 10k.

It's gonna be fun

13.685@102.11

Comment

Yes there is alot of work rebuilding motors.
              JackZ28
              K & N CAI
              Kooks Header LT's
              Free Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust
              Y-Pipe
              Synthetic Fluids

Comment

Wow, very nice. I was always under the assumption that the motor had to be dropped out of those cars, not pulled out like that. Good luck,

Comment

Actually, when we pulled it out I was suprised that any one would do it any other way. It came out very easily. I would say if anything, make sure you take off the oil filter and the mounts for the engine. When I say that I mean the actual bracket. Otherwise things will get caught on the bracket as it is coming out.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysta
                    Actually, when we pulled it out I was suprised that any one would do it any other way.
                    I totally agree. I just cannot see why people would go through all of the ignorant trouble of dropping the motor through the bottom. Mine came out easily from the top with the trans attached as well.

Comment

The sensors really aren't that scary to hook back up. I had mine laying over the passengers side of the car and every time I looked at them I'd get sick. When it was actually time to hook them back up I was shocked when I had them all reconnected in a very short time. I'd recommend starting by plugging in your injectors it helps to get the other conectors to lay out to where they should go.

Also if you ever get the chance watch someone who knows what they're doing drop and engine and tranny from under the car and not have to remove much more than the wires and a few bolts and you'll understand why people like to do it that way.
                      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

very nice man, so exactly what are you gonna be putting in the motor?
                        1967 Camaro "Project"
                        1972 Chevelle "454"
                        1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Basically just a 355 with some real nice work on the heads. The stroker was just too expensive even with the break my buddy's dad is giving me.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                            Also if you ever get the chance watch someone who knows what they're doing drop and engine and tranny from under the car and not have to remove much more than the wires and a few bolts and you'll understand why people like to do it that way.
                            Are you suggesting that those who pull it from the top do not know what they are doing??

I have experience with it done both ways and both have their pros and cons. Their is NO distinct advantage to either one. It basically just boils down to personal preference. Both can be done in the same amount of time, but the "out the top" mehtod is much less of a headache.

Comment

All your injector connectors are numbered, and all the sensor connectors are unique to eachother. As you hook them back up. start with those closest to the PCM and work your way to the ones further away, and you will see where they have to go. My big thing is taking a ton of digital photos of everything prior to disassembly - digital cameras are terriffic for just that. Good luck with your project

Comment

Working...
                              X