Mustang -vs- Camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang -vs- Camaro

There was a thread on a message board called Camaro -vs- Mustang that I wanted to mention.

The Ford guys were toting the new 2003 Cobra as Fords victory over the Z-28 bragging it could kill any Camaro ever built. How do they figure? The 2003 Cobra has no F-body to compare to. The F-body ended in 2002 at which point there was no Mustang to touch it. Also, the Cobra is not comparable to a Z-28. The Mustang GT is the Z's competitor. A 2002 Cobra would more closely compare by price and market segment to a 2002 Camaro SS, whick would still out run it. I cannot deny that the 2003 Cobra is a sweet car. I would love to have one. Wait a minute, what was the price on that?? Watch me faint and hit my head on the ground. And... how many are they making? The only one I have ever seen was the one I test drove from the dealership. I see at least 4 of 5 V8 F-bods every day. If Camaro was still alive and had to compete with the Cobra we might have seen a special edition SS with a supercharger... Wouldn't that had been cool.
    We will get our day in the sun again someday. Until then, the Ford guys trash talk just goes to proove their insecurity.

FFFFord

My friend just bought a 03 Cobra for $29,000.00
    which is $10,000.00 more I planning to spend on a 02 Z28.

He wants to race too.......
    ...whats the point

Comment

I guess it's easy to forget the last 10+ years.

I'd give the 2003 Cobra props for what has to be the best bang for the buck deal yet for a new car.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

that makes sence. Race a rare $30,000+ car against a $20,000 every day car and brag after you win. YEAH. In that case I'll go get my Uncles 360 Modina and show him how his Cobra is a brick. NOT an apples to apples comparison at all. Chevy does still have the Corvette Z06!

Come to think of it, the sticker on the 03' Cobra ragtop I testdrove was a bit over 45,000. I'll have to double check that.

Yep - Just the plain GT ragtop is $30,000.

Comment

The thing that gets me about this is that the 03 Cobra is supercharged. And the ford guys think they have something to brag about because it can keep up with the Vette. Well geez, throw a supercharger on the Vette, or even an F-bod and see what happens: Bye Bye, Cobra! When ford comes out with a natuarally aspirated Mustang that can hang with the LS1 equipped cars, especially the vette, then I will give them props. Until then, stop trying to make american muscle with rice type methods.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

According to GM's website, the 2003 Z06 LS6 at over 400 HP can run 0-60 in under 4 seconds. I'd like to see THAT with a supercharger.

Comment

The '03 Cobra is a nice ride...no doubt especially with the IRS system instead of that POS 4link. Although, have they changed that McPherson strut system in front that jacks up the Camber curve problem; those things, without major mods don't handle for crap. Also, I wouldn't allow any person that I care about to ride in one until F.O.R.D. decides to change there ways and relocate the fuel tank to a safe position. I think the comment about killing all of the f-bodies ever built is kinda silly, but hey...if it gives those guys something to do. It would have been nice of the General put out a supercharged LS1 or LS6. Hopefully, things will move in that direction.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                The thing that gets me about this is that the 03 Cobra is supercharged. And the ford guys think they have something to brag about because it can keep up with the Vette. Well geez, throw a supercharger on the Vette, or even an F-bod and see what happens: Bye Bye, Cobra! When ford comes out with a natuarally aspirated Mustang that can hang with the LS1 equipped cars, especially the vette, then I will give them props. Until then, stop trying to make american muscle with rice type methods.
                I couldn't disagree with you more. Without insulting you, I just have to tell you that your view on "rice type" modifications is extremely close minded. As far as the rest of your argument, you fail to recognize that the SVT Cobra is supercharged form the factory STOCK. You cannot say "throw a supercahrger on an LS1 and see what happens" because GM never did throw a supercharger on one. Any modified car can beat any stock car, plain and simple. There is a Didge Caravan for Pete's sake that runs 12's. Civics can get into the 14's rather reasily... you just can't compare any stock car to what has been done to one aftermarket. I really wish some of the die-hard f-body guys would learn to give credit where credit is due. The '03 Cobra is completely awesome.

On the other hand, I really wish some of the die-hard Mustang fans would stop trying to win every f-body vs mustang argument by referencing the '03 Cobra. Just like the original poster said, it is unfair to compare a 2003 model to the f-bodies now that they are no longer made. When the f-bodies were made, they dominated the Mustangs - plain and simple.
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I agree with Jay except for 1 thing. F-bodies did not dominate the Mustang EVERY year they were made. It flip flopped back and forth. Some years one was faster in STOCK form. The next it would switch.

Id say 67-70 it was a toss up. 71-81 it was F-body. 82-90 Mustang. 91-00 F-body (including Cobra and SS). 01-02 tosup (including Cobra and SS).
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The last time I was at the track I saw quite a few top fuel rails with superchargers bolted to the intake manifolds. They didn't look like ricers either. (although they did have pretty big wings on their backs and advertising all over them)That is the same AWSOME setup the Cobra runs. Definitely NOT ricer. I would LOVE to see Chevy put a charger on a Z06.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      I agree with Jay except for 1 thing. F-bodies did not dominate the Mustang EVERY year they were made. It flip flopped back and forth. Some years one was faster in STOCK form. The next it would switch.

Id say 67-70 it was a toss up. 71-81 it was F-body. 82-90 Mustang. 91-00 F-body (including Cobra and SS). 01-02 tosup (including Cobra and SS).
                      I agree with you except for one thing... hahaha... 01-02 the SS/WS6 and Firehawk ruled the Cobra.
                      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                        I guess it's easy to forget the last 10+ years.

I'd give the 2003 Cobra props for what has to be the best bang for the buck deal yet for a new car.
                        I'd say right now unfortunately that honor is going to the SRT4's. being priced under $20k makes them more accessable, and leaves more cash for mods though.

bang for the buck aside, the 03 cobra has more potential, but lets not confuse those terms.

Originally posted by markd79ta
                        The '03 Cobra is a nice ride...no doubt especially with the IRS system instead of that POS 4link.
                        the irs is more of a hinderance than a help in a straight line, which is what 90% of you are referring to in f-body vs. stang comparances. they suffer from major wheel hop issues.

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                        Until then, stop trying to make american muscle with rice type methods.
                        SINCE WHEN has a blower been rice? as I recall blowers have been around long before rice was even a comon term, aside from referring to sport bikes and cafe racers as rice rockets.............

Comment

Can anyone help me out here with what the term "ricer" means?

Comment

rice is just an overused retarded way of saying putting stickers on your car won't make it go faster.

rice is that kid that runs up and down your street at 1:00 in the morning on a wednesday with a 3" muffler attached to his 1.25" stock honda exhaust with "Honda Racing" on the windshield, various performance stickers on his fenders and doors (usually for parts that aren't on the car) and a big fat spoiler on a fwd to help keep the rear end planted during those 16.5 runs at a blistering 80 mph.

a lot of idiots began to refer to all imports as rice, which is not the case. there are some fast imports out there, just as there are some "rice" domestics. I have seen more than a few rusttanks running around with cobra emblems etc.........

Comment

Originally posted by Fife
                              Can anyone help me out here with what the term "ricer" means?
                              im one.

i eat yellow rice, its my favorite with steak terriakki...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X