Grinding noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding noise

Ok, well here's the problem. On the highway whenever I turn right at all, there is a grinding type sound comming from the front. Doesn't do it when I turn left, just right. Think it might be a wheel bearing, but not for sure. Any input appreciated.
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Could be wheel bearing.... could be brake pads. without actually looking at it, it's a tough diagnosis.

Comment

I really dont think its the brake pads. I still have to get around to takeing everything apart though. And how would I go about changing a wheel bearing.

Comment

The wheel bearing is a sealed hub/unit that also contains the abs sensor. In order to change it, pull the front wheel, remove the caliper and hang it out of the way (no need to breach the system), pull off the brake rotor. The hub assembly is held in place by 4 bolts, unclip the abs connector on the back side and remove the hub. Assembly is the reverse order. Plan on about $140 for a hub/bearing assembly.

Comment

I was afraid that I might have to change out that whole thing . I'm pretty sure thats what is makeing the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
            I was afraid that I might have to change out that whole thing . I'm pretty sure thats what is makeing the noise.
            I wouldn't worry too much, it's a real easy repair. It's actually easier than the old spindle/bearing setup from years past. No bearings to pack with grease, no mess...... 5 lug nuts, two brake caliper bolts, pull the rotor and harness connector and unbolt the 4 bolts. Really simple. the only downside is the increased cost.

Comment

Yea, the install looks really simple. It was mainly the cost that worrys me. Dang.

Comment

Working...
              X