No announcement yet.

Cool power steering fluid in radiator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool power steering fluid in radiator?

I have the mandatory crack in the radiator about 3” below the filler neck on a 97 formula.
    I have already ordered a replacement from Kaiser Radiator on ebay and it will be a auto/manual radiator, working on setting up the car for autox in the spring and I understand that a power steering cooler is required to keep from melting the seals in the rack. Would plumbing the ps fluid through the auto trans cooler in the radiator be cool enough or do I need to use a separate air flow cooler?
    97 Firebird Formula T-tops-LT1-6 Speed, Hurst shifter, K&N cold air kit, Strut brace, Suspension Technologies sway bars, C5 wheels

Originally posted by mjeter
    I have the mandatory crack in the radiator about 3” below the filler neck on a 97 formula.
    I have already ordered a replacement from Kaiser Radiator on ebay and it will be a auto/manual radiator, working on setting up the car for autox in the spring and I understand that a power steering cooler is required to keep from melting the seals in the rack. Would plumbing the ps fluid through the auto trans cooler in the radiator be cool enough or do I need to use a separate air flow cooler?
    You could plumb it through the stacked plate core section of the radiator, but you would net much better results by just using a stand alone transmission cooler. Something like one of the B&M Supercoolers. And of course mount it in a place where it gets plenty of fresh air exchange.

Comment

Thanks Kevin,
      It looked to easy to work, I thought it might make too much sense.
      I just ordered a cooler from Summit, so that I can put it in at the same time as replacing the radiator.
      97 Firebird Formula T-tops-LT1-6 Speed, Hurst shifter, K&N cold air kit, Strut brace, Suspension Technologies sway bars, C5 wheels

Comment

Working...
      X