What clutch for a LS1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What clutch for a LS1?

I'm asking this question for my brother. He has a 99 Z28 and has all the boltons plus cam, subframe connectors and will probably add more traction mods. I forget the dyno numbers of his car but it is making very good torque and hp I'm guessing around a low 12 second car he hasn't gotten to run it yet. The stock clutch isn't holding up to the power and the car needs something that grabs better. This isn't a daily driver but he would like it to stay streetable. What do you guys recommend. He was looking at the Spec Stage 3. Is that a good clutch, is there any chatter, and how long can you expect one to last?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

THe SPEC 3 clutches hold up fairly well and that's what most LS1 Guys I know run. They're strong and seem to last a while as well
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

Everyone I know of seems to be running the Spec Stage III. They say it takes a bit of getting used to for street driving because it's pretty much an on/off clutch in comparison to the stock, but no one has said it's not streetable. Everone I know with a Stage IV says to not get a IV unless yer building a drag only car.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

2001 TA ~ 2000 TA ~ 95 TA - Sold ~ 87 FB - Buried in New Mexico ~ 86 FB - Sold

Comment

The Textralia clutch seems to be the hot ticket right now. I've driven a SS with one in it and it holds great but has a stock-like engagement.

They are $$$ though.

www.textralia.com

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          The Textralia clutch seems to be the hot ticket right now. I've driven a SS with one in it and it holds great but has a stock-like engagement.

They are $$$ though.

www.textralia.com
          Wow you weren't kidding about it costing a bit more. What makes them cost that much more?
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouija
            Everyone I know of seems to be running the Spec Stage III. They say it takes a bit of getting used to for street driving because it's pretty much an on/off clutch in comparison to the stock, but no one has said it's not streetable. Everone I know with a Stage IV says to not get a IV unless yer building a drag only car.

Man, I gotta disagree. I have driven several LS1's with a SPEC stage III and they engage MUCH like stock. The ones I drove had no chatter and they definitely were not a off/on engagement. Most of the guys that post about the stage IV's even say they are very streetable. Plenty enough for a daily driver.

Comment

Spec clutches are not highly regarded in my area - several club members have had them and have had many problems - from premature wear to "blowing up". Obviously this could be caused by a large number of things (ie installed incorrectly). Most of the guys in my club are huge fans of Cartek or Textralia - both a little more expensive.
              Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Well ya'll have heard my opinion on spec stage II clutches. Never again.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Well, I don't think it's a good idea to make a lifetime "set in concrete decision" based upon a single experience with a company. NOBOBDY is perfect and should not be judged as such. SPEC indeed had some production/material issues with their disk materials, but they have long been resolved with the x-pad. SPEC makes a great clutch. The Textralia just happens to be a little more street refined.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                    Well, I don't think it's a good idea to make a lifetime "set in concrete decision" based upon a single experience with a company. NOBOBDY is perfect and should not be judged as such. SPEC indeed had some production/material issues with their disk materials, but they have long been resolved with the x-pad. SPEC makes a great clutch. The Textralia just happens to be a little more street refined.
                    I respectfully disagree. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me. It cost me about $500 to fix their screw up. I might not have needed a flywheel ($400) but everyone said it was the flywheel because I had it Blanchard ground. Turns out it was the clutch disc. There goes another $100 for a new one because I can't wait to send mine back, have them inspect it and send me a new one which is Specs return policy. It's a daily driver and they wouldn't send me another one while they inspected the bad one. I understand them wanting to do that but if it's a daily driver you can't. Koni knows this so they sent me a new shock They took my credit card number to send me a new one and gave me a month to ship the bad one back. They never charge me. I didn't loose the use of my car like I would have with Spec's method. I don't like the way Spec did business so I will take mine elsewhere.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Buddy of mine with a 99 SS was running mid/high 10's, 126MPH, 1.5x 60-fts on a RAM Clutch (402pp, 6130disk, 1550flywheel)...... took a hell of a beating with no problems.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                        I respectfully disagree. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me. It cost me about $500 to fix their screw up. I might not have needed a flywheel ($400) but everyone said it was the flywheel because I had it Blanchard ground. Turns out it was the clutch disc. There goes another $100 for a new one because I can't wait to send mine back, have them inspect it and send me a new one which is Specs return policy. It's a daily driver and they wouldn't send me another one while they inspected the bad one. I understand them wanting to do that but if it's a daily driver you can't. Koni knows this so they sent me a new shock They took my credit card number to send me a new one and gave me a month to ship the bad one back. They never charge me. I didn't loose the use of my car like I would have with Spec's method. I don't like the way Spec did business so I will take mine elsewhere.
                        Don't get me wrong, I hear ya. I know it sucks to experience "not so good" customer service, but I have just found in life that it's not wise to form an opinion of an entire operation based upon 1 or 2 peoples inability to provide great service to the customer. Many of these larger companies do not incorporate micro-management. This makes it more difficult to keep every single employee under the microscope... you know.

I guess all I'm saying is I've heard more good than bad regarding SPEC products and service.

Comment

Working...
                        X