LE2 Head Install: first error, first victory, first question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LE2 Head Install: first error, first victory, first question

It is time to put the puzzle back together. Some things go right, some go wrong. I will try to note sometings that might be important to others who do some similar mods.

Wrong Part: ARP does not make a rocker arm stud that is a drop in replacement for LT1 w/ SA rockers. I got PN 234-7201 and found that these would only work with guideplates (or maybe a thick washer). I do not see catalog PN that has short enough threads on the head side. I will be re-using the original studs.

Right Parts: From internet forum info, I was thinking that the SA rockers I got would not work with the LE2 set-up (not enough valve stem above the lock). I am happy to report that there is .020 clearance with the LT-4 rocker.

?: I am very hesitant to install the brand new lifters I bought. The rollers were very stiff (binding) right out of the box. I went ahead and soaked them in oil and it helped significantly. They are still not that smooth rolling. Should I put the project on hold and see if I can still get these replaced?
    1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

You can put some hardened flat washers or machine bushings the same thickness as the guideplates under the ARP studs - that's what I did 4 years ago. Your stock lifters will work fine with a cam - you can return the others if you want and buy something else with the money. I have aftermarket lifters and they worked fine as well, I'm sure yours would loosen up PDQ.

You might want to do a mockup and see what other bolts are too long with the new heads. On my AFR setup, I had accessory bolts bottom out as well as all of the intake bolts & valve cover studs (LT4 composite covers). You don't want to find out your intake bolts all bottom out when you have it all glued up and ready to go, trust me on this one.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

I will either find some shims today or buy a set of new stock studs (only $25 max). I only replaced the lifters because they have more than 150k on them. I think your right that the new ones will be fine once up and running.

Thanks for head bolt tip too. I still have the originals and I will be matching them up with the new ones. I bought a thread chasing set from summit, so I'll be noting which threads bottom out and which go to the water jacket for sealant. Now I'll be sure to double check them.

I am also a victim of those stupid Mr Gasket packages. It tore about 1/3 of the coating right off the top gasket.
      1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

Sean, your new headbolts will be fine, it's the intake manifold bolts that you need to check for length. You are wise to chase & clean the headbolt holes in the engine and you also should get the ARP thread sealant and put it on all the threads and make sure you get the right torque spec from ARP for use with the sealant. Also, you need to get the head surface on the block really clean for the gaskets to work (especially the head gasket).

Could you do me a favor and post the part numbers for your spring components? I am putting the CC HD beehive springs on my heads & I have the springs & retainers ordered, but I need the part number for the steel spring seats that the springs sit on which protect the head. Are you using the stock 7 degree retainers & locks? Also, what is your rocker setup going to be? I'm thinking I need to ditch the SA Cranes & 3/8" studs and go with 7/16 studs & guideplates & NSA rocker arms. - Thanks

Comment

Kevin,

Sorry about the delay. I will have to get the PNs from Lloyd (esp for the seats). According to his website, he uses the 10 degree parts ("CM retainers and 10 deg locks") on this setup. This was the reason for my concern, because I went with the GM SA Lt-4 rockers (12370839). I'll get those details for you, but you might also want to wait until tommorow when I try to start this combination I am pretty sure the setup I chose would not be recommended by those who are more knowledgable than me

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
            Could you do me a favor and post the part numbers for your spring components?
            Ferrea 6161/6165
            Comp 26918 - beehive spring
            795 retainers
            611 locks
            They use stock spring locators

Comment

Thanks,

I saw a pic on CamaroZ28.com of the springs not setting perfectly flat on the stock LT1 seats, so I am going to see what's up with that. I got the springs coming in a day or so & some 7° locks & steel retainers and viton seals (backordered).

I'm probably going to sell my Crane Gold 1.6 SA rockers (3/8" studs) and get some CC pro magnums, 7/16 studs, and reinstall the guideplates. It's already getting expensive. I might need the chambers opened up too, another couple hundred for that... And that's just the heads.

Comment

Working...
              X