Belt Sqeek!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Sqeek!

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 w/ 45K miles and my belt is sqeeking like crazy. I put a ton of belt sqeek stuff on it and it only worked for the first time i ran the car and then came right back. Any ideas or what i can do to stop it????

Yes. Get a Goodyear Gatorback belt. Throw out the belt dressing stuff.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

make sure both of ur belt tensioners are working(pull them back and slowly relase them to see if the return to where they were) i think the LS1s have 2. i think the smaller one(a/c) is slide to tighten(pushes a pulley against the belt) make sure they are both tight(1" of deflection with fingure pressure) if that all checks out, u could get a goodyear belt but i've had good and back luck with those belts(2 of cracked within 4K, 2 others made nose). if u got the money get a manufacture belt
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Belt dressing is made for V belts not serpentine belts. Clean the pulleys, get a new belt.

Comment

I agree with Joe. I don't have a LS1, but I had tons of belt squeak, esp with the A/C running. Turns out the belt was stretched (only had 20k on it). Once replaced and pulleys cleaned, the squeal was gone.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Get a new belt.
            1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
            Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
            Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Originally posted by 1994BlackFormula
              belt sqeek stuff
              You've got your answer... new belt... my firebird's a little older than your camaro.. but it was doing the same thing a while back and the belt just needed to be changed.... I just want to comment on the technical terms being used in this thread!!! haha
              '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

Comment

how do you clean the pulleys?

Comment

Originally posted by 1994BlackFormula
                  how do you clean the pulleys?
                  simple green and a toothbrush.

lather, rinse, repeat.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Also, if any of your accessories is getting old (alternator, compressor, power steering pump, etc), they can become harder to turn. The pulley would spin slower than the rest of your accessories and that could be your squeal. I know your car is low mileage but just the age (as opposed to mileage) of something can contribute to small problems like that too.
                    Darrin C
                    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

look at the ac compresor belt tensioner I see that all the time on trucks also make sure the p-s pump pully is installed flush

Comment

Working...
                      X