Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro project

Ok, with the new money I'll be making, its time to start modding

With as few as I see (if any at all), I've decided I'm gonna make the Z one of the few 93 LT4's around. I've already got a short list of parts so far, including...

95+ timing cover
    95+ Opti harness
    95+ Opti vacuum line
    95+ LT4 Conversion kit (there's a kit now for the non-vented Opti LT1's as well now)
    LT4 Extreme Duty timing set
    Either an MSD or DynaSpark Opti (would love to do a Delteq or LTCC conversion, but I gotta worry about stupid CA smog laws)
    SLP ceramic coated headers and install kit
    Reprogram of my tune from PCMForLess

Anything else I should add in to that? Anything I should substitue? I know I've gotta replace the rails. Will I have any problems with the fuel lines mating up to the 94+ FPR? Any other problems I'm not considering? Thanks guys.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

you don't have LT4 heads and intake
    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
    In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Originally posted by soCalTA
      you don't have LT4 heads and intake
      4th Item in the list...95+ LT4 Conversion Kit...this includes heads, intake, LT4 hot cam, 1.6 RRs, gaskets, etc.
      Steve

Comment

Get on AIM boss!

Comment

I have a couple suggestions. BTW, have you received my texts lately? Been sending them the last week, but never a reply

30 lb injectors based on 80% duty cycle and a maximum of 425 fwhp.
          52 mm throttle body
          Poly motor mounts

And now for the fun stuff...
          Forged pistons, crank, 4 bolt mains, etc. ... Or check the condition of your motor by a compression and leak down test. Last time I heard, it used a quart of oil after 3k. The tests would show ring condition, etc.
          The last thing we need is a spun bearing or something that ruins the bottom end of the motor.

And a 12 bolt rear end.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            I have a couple suggestions. BTW, have you received my texts lately? Been sending them the last week, but never a reply

30 lb injectors based on 80% duty cycle and a maximum of 425 fwhp.
            52 mm throttle body
            Poly motor mounts

And now for the fun stuff...
            Forged pistons, crank, 4 bolt mains, etc. ... Or check the condition of your motor by a compression and leak down test. Last time I heard, it used a quart of oil after 3k. The tests would show ring condition, etc.
            The last thing we need is a spun bearing or something that ruins the bottom end of the motor.

And a 12 bolt rear end.
            Nope, haven't gotten a one. That's quite strange.

You don't think the LS1 injectors we just put in would be enough?
            And would the 52mm be too much air?
            And I'll wait to see how the poly mounts feel in your car lol

I'm gonna look at the pistons when I pull the heads off and see how they look. Worst case, I'll have a 383 when I'm done lol. I've thought about the oil consumption and kept an eye on the dipstick...it stops right above the last hole on the stick, which is right where it sits if i put in the 4.5 quarts the book says. So, I think it was just getting rid of the extra oil. The question is, how?

As for the 12-bolt...well, that'll be a little further down the line
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Nope, haven't gotten a one. That's quite strange.

You don't think the LS1 injectors we just put in would be enough?
              And would the 52mm be too much air?
              And I'll wait to see how the poly mounts feel in your car lol

I'm gonna look at the pistons when I pull the heads off and see how they look. Worst case, I'll have a 383 when I'm done lol. I've thought about the oil consumption and kept an eye on the dipstick...it stops right above the last hole on the stick, which is right where it sits if i put in the 4.5 quarts the book says. So, I think it was just getting rid of the extra oil. The question is, how?

As for the 12-bolt...well, that'll be a little further down the line
              That's weird you haven't gotten any texts I'll see whats up and text other people to see if it gets through.

LS1 injectors? You mean LS6? And I personally believe that won't be enough. You can calculate duty cycles here http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm
              MadZ28 even said from what he's tuned, they flow minimally over stock LT1s at 43.5. That could also be why your initial tune was too lean.

I believe the 52mm throttle body would be worth it if you're doing H/C.
              I've always thought about doing top end...believe me I have...but what always pulls me away from it are my weak hypereutectic pistons, 110k miles, and 2 bolt mains. Well, that and all the work involved, lol.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

You better do the bearings. It's common to spin them after a head/cam swap.

Comment

Some piston damage isn't obvious from the top. If the rings are stuck or the rings or lands are broke, you probably can't see that unless there's a tore up area in the bore.

Comment

You'll need new fuel rails too. The 93 was different. The LT4 manifold will have the groove for the crossover pipe in front.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

what about a big shot of nitrous
                      -Nick-
                      95 A4 Z28

Comment

...Anything I should substitue? I know I've gotta replace the rails. Will I have any problems with the fuel lines mating up to the 94+ FPR?...
                        Got that already Trace, but thanks

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        You better do the bearings. It's common to spin them after a head/cam swap.
                        Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                        Some piston damage isn't obvious from the top. If the rings are stuck or the rings or lands are broke, you probably can't see that unless there's a tore up area in the bore.
                        So, basically, you guys think I should just pull the motor and rebuild it if I'm going that far already?

Originally posted by 95z28
                        what about a big shot of nitrous
                        Eh. I'm not a big fan of nitrous myself. I need another liquid I need to keep topped off on the car like I need another hole in my head lol
                        Steve

Comment

I need another liquid I need to keep topped off on the car like I need another hole in my head lol
                          u gotta let the hot air vent somehow

D&R
                          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                            u gotta let the hot air vent somehow

D&R
                            So, what you're saying is, you want to be visited by Joey Bag-O-Donuts and Muscles Marinera? lol j/k
                            Steve

Comment

Well, looks like my plans are going to have to change. The LT4 kit is no longer available, but I can still get the heads. The intake, however, I'm having trouble finding (not that I can buy it right now anyways lol). So, this brings me to another question...can the LT1 intake manifold be modified for the LT4 heads? Is this a wise move? What needs to be done? What approx. cost would I be looking at?

Also, would the hot cam still be a good choice for good driveability and decent mileage or would there be a better choice? Would a better choice require work to the LT4 heads? Thanks guys.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X