Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's the end of the f-body road for me . . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the end of the f-body road for me . . . .

I just did the timing chain - now I found out that the head gaskets are blown.

Given the 132K miles on it, the transmission is probably next to go, then the fuel pump. It's just too much to handle right now.

I've decided to sell the Z28.

How much do you think I can get if I sell it (not trade it in) with the bad head gasket vs. fixing it and selling it fully operational?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

I say keep it. Quit ing about it and fix it.
    1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
    1995 Silverado-beater truck
    2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

You will get substantially less for it with bad head gaskets.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Selling it with bad head gaskets is just like selling it with a junk motor. If you are hell bent on selling it, at least make sure it is running and everything works.

I know it is frustrating, but just take your time and get it all fixed. Pulling the heads really isn't that difficult. Do a search here and on the web. There are plenty of writeup's with pics of how to R&R the heads.

Check Shoebox's site as well. There's a good chance he has a writeup on this.

Comment

head gaskets are not tough to change. I doubt your tranny is going to go that early. Fuel pumps are like 100 bucks ant not that hard to do either. That is a slick ride. Keep it, just fix it up.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

You all are right. I'm making an emotional decision here. (deeeeeeep breath)...........

I've got tools. I've got you guys behind me. I'm fixing it.

Thanks for setting me straight on that one.
            Darrin C
            '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
            07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Just check the mileage of some of the guys on here. A properly cared for F-body should last you well into the 200 K's. It looks as if you take care of it.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                You all are right. I'm making an emotional decision here. (deeeeeeep breath)...........

Good call.
                You might as well do a simple gasket match port job on the heads while they are off. It wont cost you anything but a few bits for the old die grinder and that way you wont feel like your time was wasted. You can clean up the combustion chambers and inspect everything too, maybe do a quick lap job on the valves to make sure they are sealing perfectly. There is lots of stuff you could do for free to improve it a little bit while it is in pieces. Turn the negative into a positive.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

how bout a cam while you're in there? and maybe get a valve job too while the heads are at the machine shop. They'll have to go get milled. Chances are if it overheated your heads are warped. Should only cost around 250 or so for a good 3 angle valve job.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28

Bad 97LT1Z28, no soup for you, five years!!! Glad you decided to keep it and fix it. Here's another vote for doing some head-work while you've got them off. Even if you're not confident enough or don't trust your hands, you can always have them cleaned up and even worked a little bit for a few bucks. Just stick with it, it'll be worth your while when you turn the key and hear that grumble again
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Sold my TA at 148k, with stock tranny and fuel pump, although I never raced the car , not sure about the previous driver . The tranny shifted strong , I had tranny fluid changed at 110k with filter. If you have the means to work on the car your self, like your own garage, keep it and do it your self, and the sell it. ehehhehe
                      1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                      "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Thanks guys - you all are awesome!

This weekend - doing the heads.

Sending them in for headwork.
                        Darrin C

Comment

We new you could do it!!!

Post some pictures of the work too and goodluck with everything. Once that day comes that its all fixed your car will be running stronger than when it was new with that head work. Goodluck
                          1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Good luck with everything man. We've all had times when we want to just get rid of the car but when you think about it, we're better off just getting a little more experience working with what we've got now and fixing it up. If something breaks, it just gives us an excuse to build it up faster the next time!
                            -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

You are going to be very happy with the difference. Nice job.
                              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                              X