Lightweight flywheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight flywheel

Well, I'm thinking about swapping out the flywheel down the road and am wondering...would a lightweight flywheel throw off the balance of the crank? If I remember correctly, the LT1 is externally balanced, right? Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Any takers on this one?
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
      Well, I'm thinking about swapping out the flywheel down the road and am wondering...would a lightweight flywheel throw off the balance of the crank? If I remember correctly, the LT1 is externally balanced, right? Thanks in advance.
      There is a spec to the balance of a LT1 flywheel. (It is externally balanced) I think it is 95 grams at something like 72 degrees off of TDC. Don't quote me on that. Anyway if the flywheel is made to the specs required for a LT1 then it should be OK.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        There is a spec to the balance of a LT1 flywheel. (It is externally balanced) I think it is 95 grams at something like 72 degrees off of TDC. Don't quote me on that. Anyway if the flywheel is made to the specs required for a LT1 then it should be OK.
        So, if I end up going to a Spec 2 or 2+ clutch with lightweight flywheel for the LT1, I won't have to worry about the crank being off balance, right? Since its for the LT1, in theory, it should have the spec-ed weight at necessary position you mentioned (95g at 72 deg. from TDC), and the weight reduction is all in the rest of the flywheel itself, right? Thanks for your help Jeff.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
          So, if I end up going to a Spec 2 or 2+ clutch with lightweight flywheel for the LT1, I won't have to worry about the crank being off balance, right? Since its for the LT1, in theory, it should have the spec-ed weight at necessary position you mentioned (95g at 72 deg. from TDC), and the weight reduction is all in the rest of the flywheel itself, right? Thanks for your help Jeff.
          Your choice of clutches doesn't matter when choosing the flywheel in regards to weight. The clutch disc and pressure plate are balanced to zero. My neighbor balanced mine with the clutch and pressure plate and match marked them to be sure but in theory it shouldn't matter.

Like I said, if the flywheel is made for the LT1, it shouldn't matter.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            Your choice of clutches doesn't matter when choosing the flywheel in regards to weight. The clutch disc and pressure plate are balanced to zero. My neighbor balanced mine with the clutch and pressure plate and match marked them to be sure but in theory it shouldn't matter.

Like I said, if the flywheel is made for the LT1, it shouldn't matter.
            Oh I know the clutch won't matter, I was just using that as a hypothetical situation. At any rate, thanks for the help Jeff . Now I won't be so hesitant to buy one.
            Steve

Comment

any1 kno the spec on the 400 sbc? and i think i kno the answer but i better ask anyways, would the LT1 flywheel work on a 400 sbc? thanks
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                any1 kno the spec on the 400 sbc? and i think i kno the answer but i better ask anyways, would the LT1 flywheel work on a 400 sbc? thanks
                THe 400 sbc needs a specific weighted flywheel. It also requires a specific weighted harmonic ballancer, as it is externaly balanced. You can use a regular pre 86 flywheel on it with an aftermarket weight.
                Balance plate

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade