Spohn Tubular K-member for 4th Gens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Injuneer
    Thought I'd bump this one up to the top.....

-Spohn K-member should be available in 2 weeks.
    -Available in mild steel or chrome moly
    -Works with virtually any headers - no problems with AS&M's. It has the same "envelope" as the stock K-member.
    -Incorporates all brake line mounting tbs.
    -Larger tubing diameter than others available.
    -Works with LT1 and LS1 motor mounts

I've seen the product and of the install, and its impressive.
    Hmmmm, quite nice indeed. Any word yet on the cost of a Chrome-Moly unit?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

In reference to putting a generation 1 small block in a 4th gen, I believe that the LT1 block has the same dimensions as a regular small block, but I may be mistaken. If you do this, the distributor will be very difficult to get to. You'll want to check to make sure it'll fit under the cowl.
      95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

Don't know the specifics of mounting the Gen 1 SBC to the K-member. If you could mount a Gen 1 to the stock K-member, I would assume you could mount it to the Spohn.... not sure though.

As far as the distributor, people have managed to fit one in there... not sure if it takes a low profile, crab cap, or whatever, but it has been done. I've seen someone claim they could get the distributor in and out without dropping the engine. For race applications, some people will run a tall distributor and remove the wiper linkage.

Pricing..... I'm just guessing here, but I would assume the Spohn will be competetive with the BMR (would be nice if it was a few bucks less), and the chrome moly might run about $200 more. Can't say with any certainty. I'd also guess the chrome moly cuts the weight of the K-member by about 5#.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Is there a website where we all could find this new product?

also, since i am new to this forum, can one of you guys..or girls tell me how to put a pic in my sig and change my avitar? send it in a message if you could. Thanks!

Jeff

Originally posted by Injuneer
          Thought I'd bump this one up to the top.....

-Spohn K-member should be available in 2 weeks.
          -Available in mild steel or chrome moly
          -Works with virtually any headers - no problems with AS&M's. It has the same "envelope" as the stock K-member.
          -Incorporates all brake line mounting tbs.
          -Larger tubing diameter than others available.
          -Works with LT1 and LS1 motor mounts

I've seen the product and of the install, and its impressive.
          -Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by 94formulaLT1
            Is there a website where we all could find this new product?

also, since i am new to this forum, can one of you guys..or girls tell me how to put a pic in my sig and change my avitar? send it in a message if you could. Thanks!

Jeff
            It will be in the catalog when it is available, in about 2 weeks. The Spohn Performance website is:

http://www.spohn.net/

To put a picture in your signature, use the [img]http://........[/ img] tags, with the internet address of your picture in between the tags. There is an extra space in the [/ img] tag so it will show up on the screen. You would delete that space in your actual signature.

On your User CP screen, there is a list of options on the left side of the screen. One of them is "Edit Avatar". Click that option and you will get a screen that allows you to link to an avatar on the internet, or upload one from your PC.

When adding pictures to signatures, and uploading avatars, PLEASE follow the guidelines on maximum size.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by AJ52486
              In reference to putting a generation 1 small block in a 4th gen, I believe that the LT1 block has the same dimensions as a regular small block, but I may be mistaken. If you do this, the distributor will be very difficult to get to. You'll want to check to make sure it'll fit under the cowl.

The stuff people say about the distributor being hard to get to on a first gen small block in a 4th gen car isnt all its cracked up to be. I have done this swap, and though I did use a crank trigger distributor and a crab cap I feel it wasnt required. I used a BMR fab K-member and their LS-1, LT-1 and 1st gen small block K-members are all made differently thats why I asked if Spohn would be putting out one specifically for 1st gen small blocks. Here is a picture of my 406 small block in my 4th gen Z. Its not the best picture in the world, but you can see that there is a good bit of room around the distributor.

1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
              1995 Silverado-beater truck
              2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Working...
              X