Project Clean Engine Bay... Need Guidence Plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Clean Engine Bay... Need Guidence Plz

I have an 88 camaro with only a standard v6 engine in it.. so making room and cleaning my bay should not be to extremly difficult... right? For starters I was wanting to remove my EEC and relocate my battery. The battery relocation isn't where my concern lies... it is more in the EEC. It seems pretty simple to remove it is just all the hoses conected to it that have me worried that I will mess something up. Of course if the hoses aren't connected to anything then they need to go as well. But some of these hoses connect to hard lines that run to the back of the car and some connect to other vaccume lines that will still be connectd to something after removing the EEC. Might any of you have some words of wisdom to share???

Thank you in advance
    88 camaro 2.8L V6 (an everyday driving project car )

The hard lines run to the gas tank. The other hoses run to the throttle body. You can cap off all the hoses, just follow the hose until it connects to something and cap it off there, and get a vented gas cap. This can cause you problems in some places if you still have to pass emmisions (don't know where you are). A typical check for this system is checking the gas cap to be sure it is sealed well (pressure test). A vented cap will fail.

If you can figure out which hose goes to the gas tank you can leave the stock gas cap, and put a fuel filter on the hose to act as a filter and tuck the hose out of sight in the fender well. You may get the smell of gas in the car from doing this.

Instead you could relocate the EEC. There is plenty of room underneath where it is sitting to remount it underneath. You might need to use longer hoses and splice the wires, but it will fit.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Im in Indiana so emissions is not a probem at all would I want to get a vented gas cap, or would I be better off leaving the pressure in the tank? The previous cars I owned ( rice burners ) all held pressure in the tank. Im sure it depends on the fuel system in the vehicle. Would my camaro be effected in a bad way by leaving this pressure in the tank?

Comment

The gas tank in the Camaro isn't pressuirzed, just sealed (with the cap and the EEC) to prevent escape of gas fumes. The gas tank is vented through the EEC. So if you remove that system you still need to vent the tank somehow. Vented gas cap is the easiest/safest way.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
        '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
        Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Update...

Ok I have successfully removed the EEC, the vacuum canister, as well as moved the battery to the rear. The only difference that I am noticing is that the engine strugles to idle when it is cold, once the engine warms up it idles without a problem. And yes I did seal all the vacuum lines so I still hold some vacuum just not as large of a volume. Thanks again Bruce

Comment

Why would you want to remove the EEC canister? It recovers fuel vapor and allows the engine to burn them later on. Sort of like you are now throwing fuel away. And the vacuum canister??? The one for the HVAC controls? Why? Finally, where did you put the battery? Is it in the hatch area, where hydrogen vapor can build up and cause an explosion? NHRA requires a sealed and vented box if you have the battery in the passenger compartment.

Hard to believe appearance is important enough to just start tearing the car apart.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

LOL .. Thank you for the concern Injuneer.
              I am planning to build a custom in take system. I intend to move the turn signal lights to where the fog lamp typicaly are and turn the now turn lamp slots into air scoops. Hence why the battery had to be moved, the EEC ( which the lines are sealed off so I am not loosing fuel vapors ) needed to be moved or removed ( and since the EEC is used about as much as the EGR it might as well be removed ), and the vacuum canister I did not intend to remove untill i ran into it. I first unplugged the canister and sealed the vacuum lines off so that it would still hold a vacuum. I then tried my hardest to drain the vacuum by switching my vents on and off and the engine held enough vacuum that I had no problems, so I removed it. As for the battery... yes it is in the rear passenger side quarter panel. BUT... I intend to get a sealed dry cell battery here soon. And plus my car is an 88... by no means is the body still sealed rust has taken its tole on it and placed a few vent hole untill i get that sealed battery.

Comment

Working...
              X