Very little Heat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very little Heat?

Heater core is clogged I guess. Getting very little heat. It was flushed out 2 years ago, and now its clogged again. Is this normal? How do I clean it out? Don't want to pay to have it done again.
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Did you check your coolant level?. Low coolant can cause this problem too.
    No F-Body right now

Comment

To clean it just pull the hoses off the heater core, there on the passenger side firewall, get a garden hose and flush it out really well both ways. Then hook them back up bleed out your cooling system and add a little coolant and you should have good heat.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

what ur t-stat temp? if its below 180* dont expect much heat
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

you must be running dex cool...if you are, did you do a perfect 50% mix? too much dexcool in a mixture creates sludge.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
            what ur t-stat temp? if its below 180* dont expect much heat
            That is true if you have some sludge. I put a 160* t-stat in my firebird not long after I got it and never had a problem with getting plenty of heat in the winter but I also flushed mine once a year.

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
            you must be running dex cool...if you are, did you do a perfect 50% mix? too much dexcool in a mixture creates sludge.
            Green coolant will also clog your heater core and it will actually do it quicker since its life isn't as long as dex cool.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Car runs on green antifreeze. Mixture is at least 50 50 if not more like 60 water 40 antifreeze. Normal operating temperature, and using a 180 degree thermostate. Coolant was slightly low. I filled it up to normal, and I'm still not getting much heat. The heater core was clogged 2 years ago. Hard to believe its clogged again.
              94 Formula need more information. I need pictures of where the heater core is, and how to bleed the system.
              94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

What temperature should an LT1 with a 160* stat and programming for that thermostat run at? I have this set up and my temperature guage says it never gets above 130*.
                1993 Formula - 99k
                Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

http://shbox.com/1/bleeders.jpg

The first pic is the bleeder screws. After your done just open them up with the car running and wait until it lets the air out and coolant begins come out of them. Be sure to put down towels to protect the opti. I couldn't find a pic of the hoses going into the firewall but if you look on the passenger side firewall they're the only heater hoses that connect there. If you look around the site some I'm pretty sure you can find a right up on how to do it.

Photo courtesy of shbox .

Comment

I dont find it hard to believe that the core is clogged again. Flushing the core doesnt get everything out.
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                      Green coolant will also clog your heater core and it will actually do it quicker since its life isn't as long as dex cool.
                      Well, some would beg to differ...

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...hlight=dexcool

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                        I'm not saying that dex-cool won't clog up your cooling system but dex-cool when properly used should take longer to clog anything up because it has a longer life than green. As it was posted in the thread you need to use distilled water when mixing it with your coolant. Also doesn't gm put something in the coolant that supposedly will seal leaks that can help lead to it gumming up?

Comment

After working in a dealership for 5 years I have seen many cooling systems clogged. Mainly due to the customer not knowing and pouring green coolant into a dex-cool system. Big mess.

I don't think GM puts anything in Dex-cool from the factory, the techs at dealerships sometimes put stuff in after a repair.
                          2004 GTO - stock,FOR SALE.

1996 WS6 T/A - M6, LT4 Hot Cam, 4.10's, B&M Ripper, K&N, SLP Loudmouth, Eibach springs, Air foil, LG Plug wires, LG Engine bay brace, LG control arms, Harlan shift light.

Comment

You can most likely thank the DexCrap Coolant for your problems, I'm having the same problem with mine only mine started losing heat again about 6 weeks after the flush. Dealer wants 1100.00 to acid wash the system and install new heater core, NOT!!! I'm trying to make it until spring and will tear into it myself but I'm not a happy camper. I'm 50 years old and have had a Camaro or Firebird since 1974, I've never had to replace a radiator or heater core. Never even had a heater core plug up on me. I kept some of those cars 8 years and put 125k on them. Oh I know. I'm sure GM would tell me I have been maintaining my cars wrong for the past 32 years and been just plain lucky. They will play hard to sell me one of their new overpriced Retropean [ Retro/European] models when they come out. I wonder what it's like to have a business doing so well that you can just cast off loyal customers? LOL

Comment

I have green antifreeze in my car. Heater is working better now, but its not great. Good enough now, so I'm not bothering with it plus its getting warm here now.

Comment

Working...
                              X