No announcement yet.

true duals exhaust pipes out the side?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true duals exhaust pipes out the side?

i was wondering if it is possible to run true duals off the headers to the side of the car, infront of the rear wheel on a 94 firebird formula? I was told it was possible with about 2 1/4-2 1/2 inch pipe. But i need someone else opinion.
    -Jeff

I really dont see why not. All it would need is some custom bends and should work no problem.
    Red 1996 Firebird
    3800 V6, T-5
    Alpine CDA-9835
    Kicker S8L5 in a Bassworx SQ8
    Rockford Fosgate P3001 rated @ 391w RMS, 1194w Max

Comment

It is possible - guy in the local club has them - he has them with NASCAR boom tubes - very cool.
      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
        It is possible - guy in the local club has them - he has them with NASCAR boom tubes - very cool.
        i was just worried about clearence..what ppe size should i use all the way back? and what are boom tubes? are they kind of like chambered mufflers that is crimped? if you know what i mean
        -Jeff

Comment

My exhaust runs to the rear axle, and has turndowns (pointed "inward" to try and meet the local track noise limits). It wouldn't be that hard to add a bend and aim them over to the sides, in front of the rear wheels.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            My exhaust runs to the rear axle, and has turndowns (pointed "inward" to try and meet the local track noise limits). It wouldn't be that hard to add a bend and aim them over to the sides, in front of the rear wheels.

that is pretty nice, what size is your whole system? i was thinkin about running 2 1/4- 2 1/2 but im not sure what will work. I am also looking at the chambered exhaust mufflers in the summit catalog, its a straight through muffler that is crimped about three times, all the way down. look for yourself, people i work with tell me they sound amazing on f-bodies. it also helps that i work in a muffler shop! get these things at a discount. thanks for your help
            -Jeff

Comment

I have the AS&M headers, and 3" extensions on the collectors, then a Borla 12" long 3" XR-1 muffler (straight thru), and then the 3" pipes to the rear axle. Its pretty loud.

Previously I had the same exhaust through the Borlas, a 3" Y-pipe to a 4" Mufflex catback. The "Y" wouldn't fit after I put the Gear Vendor O/D unit in, so I removed the Mufflex to save weight (its weighing down Joe 1320's car now ) and had Mufflex make me the 3" dual pipes.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I have the AS&M headers, and 3" extensions on the collectors, then a Borla 12" long 3" XR-1 muffler (straight thru), and then the 3" pipes to the rear axle. Its pretty loud.

Previously I had the same exhaust through the Borlas, a 3" Y-pipe to a 4" Mufflex catback. The "Y" wouldn't fit after I put the Gear Vendor O/D unit in, so I removed the Mufflex to save weight (its weighing down Joe 1320's car now ) and had Mufflex make me the 3" dual pipes.

so you can fit 3inch pipe under an f-body? if i read your post correctly..
                -Jeff

Comment

If you are worried about ground clearance, you can buy 3" ovalized pipe and accessories
                  Oval pipe

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                  In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Dang.... and I thought that Mufflex was throaty. The turndowns pointed inward must make the interior resonate like a %^&*%^&*%!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      Dang.... and I thought that Mufflex was throaty. The turndowns pointed inward must make the interior resonate like a %^&*%^&*%!
                      Whaddaya say? Can't hear ya........
                      Fred

Comment

Whaddaya say? Can't hear ya........
                        I thought it was in Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                          If you are worried about ground clearance, you can buy 3" ovalized pipe and accessories
                          Oval pipe
                          Heck, 4" will fit. I picked up a BMR panhard rod relocation kit which gives clearance for dual 3" over the axle. I just run the single 4" instead.

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                            Oval pipe

thanks for that website, i knew there was a way to get oval tubing. ive never seen it but its the only thing that makes sense on low sitting cars. but one thing, lets say i would get the oval tubing, then my muffler will be three inch in diameter..so no matter what i do i will be scraping something. So i might just stick to regular tubing. like i said, being i work in a muffler shop, i get almost anything i want at manufacters price, its pretty nice. but not everything... thanks for your help everyone.
                            -Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by 94formulaLT1
                              thanks for that website, i knew there was a way to get oval tubing. ive never seen it but its the only thing that makes sense on low sitting cars. but one thing, lets say i would get the oval tubing, then my muffler will be three inch in diameter..so no matter what i do i will be scraping something. So i might just stick to regular tubing. like i said, being i work in a muffler shop, i get almost anything i want at manufacters price, its pretty nice. but not everything... thanks for your help everyone.
                              I went with 3"Chambered exhaust and have no clearance problems. I only used the oval pipe to exit out the side of the car in front of the rear wheels as that was the low point for me. I ran it along the trans tunnel and then out past the end of the front/center frame rails that run by the trans.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                              6.2L/382.97 ci
                              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                              WCT-5 speed
                              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                              Boss MS 18" Rims
                              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                              Custom Dual exhaust
                              1LE upgrade
                              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror