Speedometer problem on T-56

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer problem on T-56

I have a T-56 6 speed on my 95 LT-1. It seems the speedometer always displays half of what i am really going. Intersate reads 35mph, neighborhood reads 15mph. is this as simple as changing the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission? if so.. where is it? i think its on the passanger side of the tranny.
    thanks..
    1995 Firebird Formula. LT-1 6 speed, underdrive system, k&n cold air intake. SLP exhaust no cats. just got the car, list will grow

Did your car come stock with a 6 speed or was it an automatic that was converted to a 6 speed?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

i'm pretty sure it was a stock 6 speed.. but i cant be positive.. yeah i've heard about the transmission only putting out half of the signal that the 6 speed does. the console still has the 6 speed gear pattern, and the guy i bought it from never said anything about a swap, he did say the tranny was rebuilt.
      1995 Firebird Formula. LT-1 6 speed, underdrive system, k&n cold air intake. SLP exhaust no cats. just got the car, list will grow

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdLT1Bird
        i'm pretty sure it was a stock 6 speed.. but i cant be positive.. yeah i've heard about the transmission only putting out half of the signal that the 6 speed does. the console still has the 6 speed gear pattern, and the guy i bought it from never said anything about a swap, he did say the tranny was rebuilt.
        Do you have option MN6 on your build sticker?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

i'm not sure, how could i find out?? is it somewhere on the car?

Comment

Yup. Open up your glove box and you'll see a sticker on the inside. Look through all the codes to see if you have MN6 listed as one of them. They should be in alphabetical order, which helps
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

i will definatley take a look as soon as i get back home.. but if it is the correct tranny, has anyone ever heard of a speedo misbehaving like that? i'm hoping i can just get a new VSS.. or is reprogramming the PCM a very difficult task to accomplish??

Comment

i will definatley take a look as soon as i get back home.. but if it is the correct tranny, has anyone ever heard of a speedo misbehaving like that? i'm hoping i can just get a new VSS.. or is reprogramming the PCM a very difficult task to accomplish??
                I have never heard of a speedometer doing that.

I have never heard of a the VSS doing that.

The only time I have heard of that is from the conversion.

However if someone just swapped the computer with one out of an automatic it would do the same thing.

It's not hard to reflash it but you need a cable to hook it to a computer which cost about $100. Here is the only place I know to get one http://www.akmcables.com/ . I bought mine from there.

You will need the code to reflash it (if that is what is wrong). I have the stock code for a 94-95 6 speed car.

Where in the country are you located at?
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

This is interesting..... this same thread was posted about a week ago on another forum. I gave him virtually identical info that has been offered above - its an A4->M6 swap, or the PCM has been swapped. I was the one who explained the differences between the A4 VSS output (40 pulses/rev) and the M6 VSS (17 pulses/rev). I also pointed out that with an A4 program, he would be getting an SES light and code for the missing A4 connections. Apparently he didn't give my repsonses and creedance, and brought the post over here for the correct info.

One last thought.... what is the output signal from the 93 M6 trannies? Were they somehow different than the later ones? Is it possible someone swapped in a 93 T56?
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

hey injuneer, yeah i'm that guy on Firebird nation that we had this same conversation.. i trust ur info, i'm just trying to figure out as many possibilities of what coudl be causing this problem.. the guy i bought it from did say that he had put a new PCM in there, so maybe a flash for it would be necessary. oh i'm located in Florida, but my car is at home in SC. i go home in 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      One last thought.... what is the output signal from the 93 M6 trannies? Were they somehow different than the later ones? Is it possible someone swapped in a 93 T56?
                      The parts lists calls out the same part number for the speed sensor in the 93 and 94-97 M6.

Comment

hey injuneer, yeah i'm that guy on Firebird nation that we had this same conversation.. i trust ur info, i'm just trying to figure out as many possibilities of what coudl be causing this problem.. the guy i bought it from did say that he had put a new PCM in there, so maybe a flash for it would be necessary. oh i'm located in Florida, but my car is at home in SC. i go home in 2 weeks
                        That sounds like your problem. You need a reflash with the M6 software.

There were 3 codes when I swapped to the M6 but of the 3 would light the SES light. They were still there until I reflashed the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                          The parts lists calls out the same part number for the speed sensor in the 93 and 94-97 M6.
                          But is the reluctor the same # of teeth on a 93? There's something screwy about the 93's, but I can't remember what it is.

JagsThatRun sells a 40-tooth reluctor gear for the T56.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...luct_ring.html
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                            But is the reluctor the same # of teeth on a 93? There's something screwy about the 93's, but I can't remember what it is.

JagsThatRun sells a 40-tooth reluctor gear for the T56.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...luct_ring.html
                            I thought the 93's didn't use a VSS? I thought it was a speedo cable to the PCM, or something older-tech like that. Not that I would be complaining about my tranny using the same VSS as the rest of the LT1 T-56's.
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

that is indeed the stock transmission.. the guy that bought it must have put the new computer but didnt program it correctly for the speedometer. i'm clueless as to how to reprogram. i've always worked on classics

Comment

Working...
                              X