No announcement yet.

1/4 times and stock rear end ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my understanding, the 98's were the only ones to get Auburn's standard. In 99, GM started to put Zexel-Torsen's in all the LS1 cars as standard regardless of whether or not they were a SS or WS6. There were some 99+ LS1 cars that recieved Auburn's as an SLP build option, but it was not a factory standard.

Comment

Why were on the subject, which diff is better? Auburns or Torsens? Cause I'm under the impression that Auburns are better...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by darkz711
        no he was refering to 96/97 ss's and the Comp TA
        ohhhh ok now i get it, my bad
        1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Crap. I meant to say I thought all 98-02 (V8s) got Torsens and only SSs and Firehawks got Auburns? According to the Torsen website www.torsen.com they started putting them in F-bodies in 1998 not 1999. SLP used to list the Auburn in the SS and Firehawk sections as 98-02.

As to which is better it depends on what you want to do. For straight line drag racing the Auburn is better than the regular Torsen. For handling ie road coarse autocross or just street driving the Torsen is better. I am very impressed with the Torsen. It really helps keep the rear end planted when turning. The stock Torsen will spin the right rear tire when turning right if the left rear is getting really good traction. If it isn't it will drive both tires and kick the rear to the side like a true limited slip. I don't think I have ever had it spin the right rear and not the left rear in a straight line acceleration. In loose road conditions I think the Torsen is better in straight line than the limited slip. It tends to transfer power where needed rather than just spin.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            Crap. I meant to say I thought all 98-02 (V8s) got Torsens and only SSs and Firehawks got Auburns? According to the Torsen website www.torsen.com they started putting them in F-bodies in 1998 not 1999. SLP used to list the Auburn in the SS and Firehawk sections as 98-02.
            That is interesting, although I never really trust the year spans that aftermarket manufacturers put on their site. There were some links on ls1tech.com to a few GM official sites where GM stated that the 99's were the first year of the Torsen being standard. SLP is correct in listing the Auburn as available from 98-02..... because it was.

There were(and maybe still are) a few threads where people were taking pics of their RPO codes and their rear-ends with the covers off. None of the non-SLP-optioned 98's had any Torsen's.

I agree, the Torsen is probably the better road corse rear-end and the Auburn is better suited for straight-line applications. Although the Eaton is even stronger and better than the Auburn in straight-line applications. Just have to do the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              That is interesting, although I never really trust the year spans that aftermarket manufacturers put on their site. There were some links on ls1tech.com to a few GM official sites where GM stated that the 99's were the first year of the Torsen being standard. SLP is correct in listing the Auburn as available from 98-02..... because it was.

There were(and maybe still are) a few threads where people were taking pics of their RPO codes and their rear-ends with the covers off. None of the non-SLP-optioned 98's had any Torsen's.

I agree, the Torsen is probably the better road corse rear-end and the Auburn is better suited for straight-line applications. Although the Eaton is even stronger and better than the Auburn in straight-line applications. Just have to do the swap.
              I kind of doubt that GM would buy and put Auburns in any car as a production thing rather than the GM limited slip that they used the year before.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Trust me, all 98 LS1 F-body's got Auburn rears from the factory as a standard component. The 98 cars could order a Torsen as a factory upgrade or a SLP build option.

The Auburn's that are in the 98's are limited slip. 98 was a first production year for the Gen III F-body's, so who knows why GM decided on that one

Comment

Trust me, all 98 LS1 F-body's got Auburn rears from the factory as a standard component. The 98 cars could order a Torsen as a factory upgrade or a SLP build option.

The Auburn's that are in the 98's are limited slip. 98 was a first production year for the Gen III F-body's, so who knows why GM decided on that one
                  No thanks. I don't believe GM used Auborns in production cars. I need proof.

Who has a 98 LS1. Jack up the rear end and spin 1 tire. Does the other side spin the same way or the opposite way.

Comment

No thanks. I don't believe GM used Auborns in production cars. I need proof.

Who has a 98 LS1. Jack up the rear end and spin 1 tire. Does the other side spin the same way or the opposite way.
                    I've worked on many 98 LS1 cars and it's quite easy to see if the rear-end has the invex gears as per a Torsen, or the clutches and common yellow springs associated with an Auburn. Guess what..... all the 98's have clutches and the good-ole yellow springs back there.

It's common knowledge amongst LS1 owners that the 98's came with Auburns.

Do a search on ls1tech.com if you don't trust me and need further proof. I already have mine.

Comment

I've worked on many 98 LS1 cars and it's quite easy to see if the rear-end has the invex gears as per a Torsen, or the clutches and common yellow springs associated with an Auburn. Guess what..... all the 98's have clutches and the good-ole yellow springs back there.

It's common knowledge amongst LS1 owners that the 98's came with Auburns.

Do a search on ls1tech.com if you don't trust me and need further proof. I already have mine.
                      OK I did a lot of looking on LS1tech and I only found one thread that says what you say.

In this thread it takes several posts before someone finally says that his differential doesn't have anything to wear out.
                      http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491523

There are many threads on there that are just not correct. I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling that these people are that knowledgeable.

Guess what, the rear end I took out of my car had yellow springs and clutches in it. I gave it to a friend and when I see him I'm going to get him to take a picture of it. It is a stock 95. Does that mean since it had yellow springs that it was an Auburn? Maybe the stocks springs are yellow too. Maybe they meant Auburn "style" when referring to a stock rear end.

Comment

Guess what, the rear end I took out of my car had yellow springs and clutches in it. I gave it to a friend and when I see him I'm going to get him to take a picture of it. It is a stock 95. Does that mean since it had yellow springs that it was an Auburn?
                        You didn't listen to me . I simply said that it was common for the Auburn's to have yellow springs. Eaton's can have yellow springs as well....what's your point. Anybody, however, can tell the difference between a invex(worm) gear differential and a clutched differential.

I don't expect everyone to have an intimate knowledge of the LS1 cars, so it it is OK that you didn't know.

I'll say it one more time. I have worked on many 98 LS1 f-body's, and I have done my research on this subject. ALL 1998 LS1 f-body's(with the minor exception of Torsen special orders) came STANDARD with differentials built by Auburn Gear, not "Auburn-like" differentials.

Maybe they meant Auburn "style" when referring to a stock rear end.
                        Now you're just insulting my intelligence Jeff.

Comment

Part of a sticky on LS1Tech. Bear in mind, this board's stickies are reviewed by the best pro's in the nation and I just happen to stay in contact with a significant portion of them :

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...85&postcount=7

Comment

Working...
                          X