No announcement yet.

HELP I wanna be faster... newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bojangles ur second part of the reply isnt english to me...????

i thought: more pins in the gear (maybe meaning higher gear) equals more acceleration equals less top end speed on that gear, thats opposite to what i wanna accomplish since it roars like crazy at 60MPH at 2nd gear with no torqe... i wanna change gears so that it will easily do 60MPH at 2nd gear arround 4.5 RPM since that is were this cars torque starts to die out

so what gear does it have now stock and what gear do i want guys plz help me out

Comment

I have a 93 v6 3.4 liter Auto and i do 0-60 in 10 flat so im guessing its your shifting

Comment

NJSPEED is right...

You have a manual, like I said before, once you learn how to shift the car accurately you can equal my cars acceleration or do better than mine...

Okay that may be a long shot... But really you need to play around with shifting your car... after a while thou, you will be able to do zero to sixty in probably about 8 or 9 secs maybe alittle more... Just play around with the stick shift for a while...

The reason I wanted an auto, was because it was not only convenient but also I like the quick throttle response... I had a hyundai Scoupe base 1.5Liter engine 5 speed and I could make it hang with a 1997 Toyota Celica GT and they had about 40 horsepower difference... So just play around with it for a while... And like all things once you master how to shift the car (since every car with a manual tranny is different, even the same models and years are different), but once you master how to shift the car you want ever forget it...

A word of advice though, be careful because a friend of mine screwd up his manual transmission by trying to shift far to fast for the clutch and transmission to keep up... And they had to replace their clutch after about a half to almost a year of owning the car, and the mechanic said that they fried the transmissions gears as well because even with the new clutch the car would not go into gear easily, and it would automatically jurk it self out of gear...
        JUST BE CAREFUL...

Oh yah... The bigger the rear axle gear the quicker the car, the smaller the more speed you can get... My camaro's top end should be about 115 or so with my stock 3.08:1 rear axle gear... but with my 3.42:1 rear axle gear my car top end is like about 112 or so... I HAVE NOT TRIED TO FIND MY TOP END YET AND DON't PLAN ON IT... But I can do 60 at just about 1900 to 2000 rpms and 80 at about 2500 rpms...

Later...
        Mara
        Thanks
        MaraSport

Comment

How many rpms are you turning at 60 in 2nd. If you went to a higer gear(numarically lower) You could actually lower the rpms you turn at 60. But this leads to a power band and off the line response problem. I have a z28 with six speed and since the needle fell of the speedometer i cant im not sure what gear you hit sixty in without toping out. Also if anyone could provide me with a chart about speed to rpm ratios for this car i could judge my speed. Someday ill find that needle.

I was always to a lower gear is numarically higher and a higer gear was numarically lower but this might only apply to rednecks who work on your stuff for free.

Comment

its turns max rpm at 2nd gear to achieve 60MPH with 5500RPM and since it totaly looses all torqe after 4750 its such a wasted time, i havny tried it yet to just do 1-2gear to 60MPH i will soon

Comment

well i went and tried it just now with a friend and a stop watch, just like the other times, so i guess u figure in reflex time of starting watch same as reflex time of stopping it, well it did 0-60 in 12 with no wheel spin engine boggled out, 11 second with some wheel spin and best time was 10.5 second also wheel spin using the brake handle before take off keeping engine at 2000, so there was wheel sping using the brake handle deal, but much better 1st gear take off but jeez 2nd gear just dies out totaly after 50MPH, i bet i get exact same times using 3rd gear shifting 2nd right at 4750 rpm when torqe is lost

i do realize the IDIOT that had the car before me took it to some other IDIOT and have approx a 5in long K&N looks like a V4 air filter and to get that small thing in they forced it into the stock plastic intake making its diameter smaller, maybe thats why i feel the car just stops accelerating after 50MPH on 2nd gear maybe its normal maybe not its late now ill try tommorow without the air filter at all maybe that will shave off a sec, along with that maybe a bit less tire spin when weather is warmer and have more traction other than that wat do u guys advise to do?

#1 lower gear to achive 60MPH using 3rd gear with more torqe or
              #2 higher gear to achieve 60MPH using 2nd gear within torqe range but less take off....

i guess in the end its all a matter of trial and error knowing for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

Comment

no such thing as a V4...only inline. Also, if you want to make more power up high, you need to your engine breathe easier. MORE AIR = MORE POWER

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                X