Ignition/idle problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition/idle problem.

Hey guys, i rescenty had 3.73 gears installed and went smooth, UNTIL next day i tryed starting it up in the morning and it didnt want to start, i kept cranking it hbut it wouldnt start, finaly i got it started, the idle shot up to 2k rpm and stayed there for about 30 sec or so, I let the engine warm up a bit, but when i put it into drive the motor felt like it was starving for fuel wanting to shut off on me. I took it for a spin around the block and it was stuttering, then i put it into park and reved it a bit and at first it choked and then reved up, the second time i did reved it it choked and motor shut off, had a hard tme starting it again, but did. Any ideas on what can be causing this? Could it be that i need to get the PCM tunne or would this be more of a mechanical problem?

P.S. I had rescently removed the screen in the Mass airflow sencor, being very carefull not to damage the coils inside. could that be whats causing it also? and if so would i be able to use a MAS from a 96 Lt1 (my brothers car) to test it?
    95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Could be your MAF. I had the same problem with my old car. It got damaged somehow (they are veryyyyyyyyy sensitive BTW) and the car wouldn't go above 2000 rpm. I know your situation is different but, I bet its your MAF.

Mike

PS> IMO I wouldn't take that screen off, its not worth it. It blocks a lot of crap that could potentially damage your engine.

1996 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air: 160k kilometres, low temp T-stat, tuned, 3.73 gears, 3" Magnaflow exhaust, B&M skip shifter, BFG drag radials

Comment

well I bought a Jet performance MAF and installed it yesterday but car is still acting funny, I'm having a very hard time getting it started in the mornings and after it gets warmed up it seems to start right up afterwords, but if i step on the gas suddenly it bogs and then revs...anyone have any ideas? could it be the fuel filter or pump or does this more on the lines of an electrical issue? any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me up the wall
      95 Z28 LT1, Edelbrock headers w/ Full exhaust, cold air intake, TCI 1800 stall convertor, shift kit, Eibach springs, KYB shocks

Comment

To rule out if it's the MAF, simply unplug it. Your car will run in speed density mode. (Your SES light will come on though, but you're fine). If it runs fine, then it's probably the MAF. If it still has a funny idle, then something else is wrong.

You might want to check your IAC. That's what controls your idle, and it might be giving up on you - or might be dirty.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Where is the IAC located?

Comment

On the throttle body:

http://shbox.com/1/throttle_body2.jpg

Also, I would check your fuel pressure at idle and key-on position.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Thx for the info Bud much appreciated =)

Comment

When they swapped the gears, did they try and access the PCM to change the ratio in the programming? If so, what software did they use, and did they have any trouble accessing the PCM, or did the reporgramming attempt "crash" at any time?
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

They told me I would have to get a PCM tune, they didnt touch that at all. I,m bringing the car back to them tomorrow hopefully they can find the problem. So far i have removed the Cold air intake and cleaned the inside of the throttle body, replaced the MAF with a new Jet performance MAF and it's still having a very hard time starting in the mornings and is still bogging out fo the whole..

Comment

Working...
                  X