No announcement yet.

Strange rear end questions - again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go with the Bilstein HDs. If I wasn't rebuilding the Koni's on the GN, that's what I would be going with. Just make sure to double-check the part #(s) first. Summit sells the Bilsteins for the 4th Gen, but if you check the part #s they're the softer SLP Bilsteins, not the HDs.

If you really want to start getting serious, my suggestion would be the rear coil-over kit Spohn sells with QA1 components. Just my 0.02.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The Hotchkis and Koni SA 4/4 seems to be the hot setup right now on the 4th Gens.

Craig if I were you, I would highly reccommend calling Sam Strano at Strano Performance Parts. Tell him exactly what your goals are and he will set you straght. That guy know's suspensions very well.

www.stranoparts.com

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help with the rear end/suspension/brake questions. I ordered the rear end through Tbyrne (came out to $2219 after $250 sale) and they said it's going to be 8 weeks. So at least I have plenty of time to think about the shocks/springs/brakes. I just hope my rear won't give out before then - it's starting to get louder and louder.

The only thing was that I asked what is the "33 spline Super Strength posi unit" and they said they "think it's an Eaton posi." I think that's standard on this anyway.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Well, hopefully, the 8 weeks becomes 4-6 weeks because the rear end quit making the "whine" and changed to a chug-whoosh type sound. Meaning, accelerating from a dead stop, it sounds like a train....
          "Whoooooosh.................whoooooosh............ .whooooosh.......whoooosh........whooosh...whoosh. .whosh.whosh.whish.whish.whish......."
          It's loud enough to hear in the car, and when you roll down the window, you can hear the reflection off the curb.

Also, at above 50 mph, when you completely let off the throttle, I'm hearing some kind of high pitch noise, probably the bearings.

Do you think it's still safe to drive for a few more weeks?

Thanks in advance
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            Well, hopefully, the 8 weeks becomes 4-6 weeks because the rear end quit making the "whine" and changed to a chug-whoosh type sound. Meaning, accelerating from a dead stop, it sounds like a train....
            "Whoooooosh.................whoooooosh............ .whooooosh.......whoooosh........whooosh...whoosh. .whosh.whosh.whish.whish.whish......."
            It's loud enough to hear in the car, and when you roll down the window, you can hear the reflection off the curb.

Also, at above 50 mph, when you completely let off the throttle, I'm hearing some kind of high pitch noise, probably the bearings.

Do you think it's still safe to drive for a few more weeks?

Thanks in advance
            Well the best that could happen is if something were to just break and you would have no power to the wheels.

The worst that could happen is if something were to break and somehow lock up the rear going down the highway.

I think I would hold off on driving it if you can.

Do you have a beater?

Comment

Crap, I never thought about the situation of it locking up....I thought at worst I'll lose all power to the wheels in traffic...but I think the locking up situation is by far worse. - especially since my commute is 25 miles freeway.
              I have access to another vehicle and will probably just use it then.

Thanks Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                Crap, I never thought about the situation of it locking up....I thought at worst I'll lose all power to the wheels in traffic...but I think the locking up situation is by far worse. - especially since my commute is 25 miles freeway.
                I have access to another vehicle and will probably just use it then.

Thanks Kev
                It's not very likely that it would lock up, but you never know.

Gotta keep my Craigster alive and well!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  It's not very likely that it would lock up, but you never know.

Gotta keep my Craigster alive and well!
                  Ummmm...ummmmm...no comment lol
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I always find it quite exciting at the track when a car with C-clip axles loses a clip or breaks an axle on launch, and the axle comes flying out of the housing and goes down (or across) the track faster than the car, which is now screeching to a halt with the end of one axle housing tearing up the track.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                    X